Social Media Considered The Most Effective Ad Medium By Local SMB’s
ef·fec·tive·ness /iˈfektivnəs/ noun
-the degree to which something is successful in producing a desired result; success.
The whole idea of a local business investing a portion of their hard-earned sales dollars on an advertising campaign is to generate a specific set of results. Do we pay attention to this all the time? Are we employing the right media channel, or product, to produce a desired result? Most often we think we are.
If our local customers could choose their most effective media, what would it be?
The recent Borrell SMB Survey results show something that has been growing for a few years now. And that is that Social Media is considered the most effective advertising media that local business can employ.
Click on the above chart for a larger view.
Social media ranks higher than all other methods on the recent survey. And among all the methods of advertising ranked as “moderately effective” or better, only TV and Postal Mail are channels we can’t deliver. So that means that most local business should think of us as purveyors of “effective” media, right?
What isn’t effective?
It looks like a pattern is starting to arise when considering how “effective” advertising methods really are. The ability to target is an important components of improved effectiveness. Among those that were not ranked at least “moderately effective” we start to see a number of channels that don’t offer good targeting options, such as un-targeted ROS ad banners, newspapers, magazines, online classifieds and directories. Some of these are products, or media, that we regularly recommend to our local customers.
So what am I supposed to do about it?
- Social media ranks higher than any other media in this recent survey. We should be very aware of all social media options we can offer and how they can benefit local businesses. “Not” knowing our social capabilies is not an option.
- Search engine marketing and email marketing are also ranked very highly in their effectiveness. We tend to look at pricing as a barrier for our local customers to utilize these components. Remember that these are more “effective” channels than many others. And “effectiveness” in a marketing campaign is really what we are aiming for.
- Event Marketing, Geo-targeting, and Video ads also rank at least as moderately effective by local businesses. We can probably be more aggressive in our discussion of “events” with local businesses and also be more quick to discuss targeted display, again not letting price be a barrier in those conversations.
- Native Advertising is also noted as an effective format of advertising. We can start discussing that very quickly, but for now it might be wise to start researching what it is and how it works. This will be at our doorstep very soon.
None of this suggests that any category of advertising that is not ranked as at least “moderately effective” will not aid local businesses. Newspapers are still a strong component in most SMB ad campaigns. But there is a reason why SMB’s have prioritized their confidence in the channels listed in this survey. Being better acquainted with the capabilities of all of our components just might change what we end up proposing to our local customers. They are helping us understand what is effective. It’s our role to make sure we can be effective with every campaign we execute.
Quote(s) of the week
“You get the job done or you don’t.”
– Bill Belichick
“I still work hard to know my business. I’m continuously looking for ways to improve all my companies, and I’m always selling. Always”
Your MOM Knows Best
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
NEW!!!-Interscroller Ad Position, New High Impact Inventory
(Get ready for this ad position, we will be implementing it in several of our packages very quickly!)
GateHouse O&O sites now have a new high impact ad position, called the Interscroller. The Interscroller runs inline within the content feed, scrolling smoothly onto and off the screen as a user scrolls through an article. It does not run on top of or block underlying content. This is on desktop and mobile with different sizes to fit, and is purchased “by day”…see rate cards. Check the CSC site for specific instructions regarding this ad position and a working example. (Please access this site frequently for updates.)
IMPORTANT: Q4 Digital Rate Cards On The Drive
Please access the new Q4 digital rate cards on the drive. What to look for…
- Increase “base” rate for O&O Audience Packages
- Premium charge for any campaign requesting specific ad units
- Also please look at the “premium” targeting charges for OnTarget. These have been in play for a number of months but it looks like they have been overlooked.
- Base rate for O&O using geo-targeting
- Premium targeting fee “to be added” when any other type of targeting tactic is used
- Plus don’t overlook the volume discounts on the card.
PLEASE CHECK THE ADOPS UPDATE IN TODAY’S BLOG FOR IMPORTANT GUIDELINES TO USING THE NEW RATE CARDS!
Q4 & Holidays Presentations
Packages, Pricing, and Presentations
Packages, pricing, and presentations are on the drive!
There are many reasons to see all local businesses today about a strong finish to 2017. And ENC’s pricing is already set. Check out the deck from our Q4 kick off, plus the Q4 customer presentation template. You will also see sample presentations for guidance.
Remember, most local businesses are expecting a stronger holiday season this year, help them make that come true with our great Q4 bundles!
Back to Basics
Sales Transformation is not a method or a training chapter, it’s how we conduct our daily business. We’ll be discussing this again on a weekly basis. But here’s an early tip for those that wish to get a head start on our renewed focus.
If nothing else…start with the first three steps. Without these, we don’t get to a final close.
- Call Opening
- Needs Assessment
These will be steps that we’ll be reviewing on a weekly basis going forward.
Need help, just shout out. And don’t forget to check out the Sales Transformation folder on the drive for documents, presentations and a full size version of the Sales Process Chart!
- Now located on the AdOps page MOM, access from the Blog menu (upper right corner)
- All sales personnel are requested to communicate with AdOps via email for all requests. Please help out, if you are not sending your requests via email, a face-to-face or phone request may not be fulfilled.
Events & Promotion
ENC Live is…encmedialive.com
ENC Media Group’s events are now available with their own website, encmedialive.com. ENC Live is also now available from JDNews.com, Kinston.com, and NewBernsj.com, via the left hand menu navigation. We will be pointing all future website navigation for our live events to this website, and updating the site with appropriate detail and information. This is just another step in ENC’s evolution as a leading marketing services provider in the eastern and coastal North Carolina region.
Upcoming ENCLive events
- ENC Home & Holiday Gift Show December 15 & 16, 2017
- ENC Bridal & Special Event Expo January 21, 2018
- ENC Jacksonville Home & Garden Show March 10 & 11, 2018
- ENC New Bern Home & Garden Show March 17 & 18, 2018
I Love USA Photo Contest STILL Available-JDNews and Kinston!
4 weeks of audience participation
- Patriotic photo submissions
- Winning photo is picked, by our internal panel.
- Winning photo submission earns a $100 gift card
Title Sponsorship-8 weeks of advertising
- ¼ pg each week
- Targeted (OnTarget) Display advertising, or Facebook Ad campaign
- Sponsorship branding (logo) on all in-paper promotion
- Branding on all Facebook posts to our own (Sun Journal) followers
- Email blasts to our own registered user
Sales one-sheet is on the drive!
Already sold on NewBernsj.com!
Pie Chart of the Week
REPEAT-2018 Advertising Budget Forecast, With A Slightly Different View (Available NOW!)
This is a repeat of last week’s chart showing 2018 spending forecasts for the Coastal North Carolina region. This is a slightly different view but the data is all the same. You may locate, and download these charts, from the drive, here.
2018 Advertising Forecasts-Local SMB’s Coastal North Carolina
- Online: 54%
- Local TV: 9%
- Newspapers: 8%
- Radio: 7%
- Direct Mail: 5%
- Other Print: 4%
- …and so on
2018 Online Advertising Forecasts-Local SMB’s Coastal North Carolina
- Targeted Display: 32%
- General Search: 30%
- Listings Search: 17%
- Online Video: 15%
- ROS Display: 15%
Remember, these results are directly from local SMB’s in OUR MARKETS! They are not just national numbers.
…the new norm
October Digital Rollout Webinars-THIS WEEK!
- Please register for one of the two (2) Digital Roll Out webinars for October, (10/19 or 10/20.) These webinars will discuss very important updates and new offerings from ThriveHive and GateHouse. Register thru the GateHouse LMS.
For more information see the ThriveHive training website from your LMS.