Nearly half (45%) of Americans plan to start holiday shopping before November, with one in four starting before October, according to RetailMeNot’s 2017 Holiday Retail Trends and Guide. Retailers are capitalizing on this earlier start: Nearly 80% indicated they will begin holiday marketing efforts earlier this year. (ChainStoreAge.com)
This is just a gentle reminder that local businesses have been and are focusing on holiday sales…as we speak. Selling longer term campaigns, helping local businesses look into the future is one of the things that Sales Transformation helps us to do. And the marketing packages that we have available support this longer term focus. Here are a few ideas as we look past the next couple of weeks, and well into the year-end and beyond.
- Start with multi-week campaigns in all discussions. Previewing next week’s ad might be a great chance to propose an 8 or even 13-week campaign surrounding the same items or sales focus.
- Include multi-week campaign specs surrounding any single-event marketing discussions. Halloween and Black Fridays are now “seasons” and are not single day events. “…RetailMeNot expects that Black Friday deals will start well in advance of Thanksgiving Day, and last beyond Cyber Monday. In fact, the holiday shopping weekend of Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday will likely now expand into two full weeks of deals.”
- Think of extending all campaigns with targeted digital campaigns. (And remember, they don’t need to be 3 month’s in duration, focus on the minimum “investment” not the duration.
- Strongly consider the new ThriveHive opportunities recently reviewed n the October roll out.
- Seriously look into the new year. Check our sales calendar. We already have events added for 2018. Local businesses will truly appreciate knowing what is coming up in the next 13-20 weeks, as well as the next 13-20 days.
Our local businesses will be here thru the end of the year, all next year and beyond. Our job is to help them maintain their successful franchises for the long haul. Focusing on that longer term time frame is what our focus is all about.
Quote(s) of the week
“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.”
– Wayne Gretzky
“Plans are of little importance, but planning is essential.”
Your MOM Knows Best
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
- As announced in the October Roll Out Webinar, GateHouse has prepared a template for a one-sheet presentation. Multi-slide power points don’t work for all businesses. This new format includes all the salient touch-points of a great marketing campaign discussion. Please access this from the GateHouse Media Portal.
- You can also access the Word version of this presentation here.
Q4 & Holidays Presentations
- Packages, pricing, and presentations are on the drive!
NEW High Impact Inventory On All O&O Site-Interscroller Ad Position!
(Get ready for this ad position, we will be implementing it in several of our packages very quickly!)
GateHouse O&O sites now have a new high impact ad position, called the Interscroller. The Interscroller runs inline within the content feed, scrolling smoothly onto and off the screen as a user scrolls through an article. It does not run on top of or block underlying content. This is on desktop and mobile with different sizes to fit, and is purchased “by day”…see rate cards. Check the CSC site for specific instructions regarding this ad position and a working example. (Please access this site frequently for updates.)
IMPORTANT: Q4 Digital Rate Cards On The Drive
- All new campaigns not on previously documented contracts should be on these cards.
PLEASE CHECK THE ADOPS UPDATE IN TODAY’S BLOG FOR IMPORTANT GUIDELINES TO USING THE NEW RATE CARDS!
Back to Basics
Sales Transformation is not a method or a training chapter, it’s how we conduct our daily business. We’ll be discussing this again on a weekly basis. But here’s an early tip for those that wish to get a head start on our renewed focus.
If nothing else…start with the first three steps. Without these, we don’t get to a final close.
- Call Opening
- Needs Assessment
These will be steps that we’ll be reviewing on a weekly basis going forward.
Need help, just shout out. And don’t forget to check out the Sales Transformation folder on the drive for documents, presentations and a full size version of the Sales Process Chart!
- All sales personnel are requested to communicate with AdOps via email for all requests. Please help out, if you are not sending your requests via email, a face-to-face or phone request may not be fulfilled.
- All O&O campaigns should be written using the new digital rates. Please help out, campaigns may be delayed if we are uncertain of the rating. Thanks.
- Campaign reports and monthly O&O audience reports are available on the drive. You can access them by selecting the AdOps page from the menu in the upper right hand corner of MOM!
Events & Promotion
ENC Live is…encmedialive.com
ENC Media Group’s events are now available with their own website, encmedialive.com. ENC Live is also now available from JDNews.com, Kinston.com, and NewBernsj.com, via the left hand menu navigation. We will be pointing all future website navigation for our live events to this website, and updating the site with appropriate detail and information. This is just another step in ENC’s evolution as a leading marketing services provider in the eastern and coastal North Carolina region.
Upcoming ENCLive events
- ENC Home & Holiday Gift Show December 15 & 16, 2017
- ENC Bridal & Special Event Expo January 21, 2018
- ENC Jacksonville Home & Garden Show March 10 & 11, 2018
- ENC New Bern Home & Garden Show March 17 & 18, 2018
I Love USA Photo Contest CLOSING Soon-JDNews and Kinston!
4 weeks of audience participation
- Patriotic photo submissions
- Winning photo is picked, by our internal panel.
- Winning photo submission earns a $100 gift card
Title Sponsorship-8 weeks of advertising
- ¼ pg each week
- Targeted (OnTarget) Display advertising, or Facebook Ad campaign
- Sponsorship branding (logo) on all in-paper promotion
- Branding on all Facebook posts to our own (Sun Journal) followers
- Email blasts to our own registered user
Sales one-sheet is on the drive!
Already sold on NewBernsj.com!
Pie Chart of the Week
A Sales Idea-Thinking Ahead
Tax time is far off right? But planning for it is going on right now. Accountant firms need to look ahead, they need to make sure they will be seen when individuals and businesses are looking.
This past week, a proposal went out to a CPA firm that did just this…using the Borrell Compass data to show where accountants will be spending their ad budgets in 2018. Below is the chart that shows how important online channels are, and will be for this business segment.
2018 Advertising Forecasts-Accountants, Coastal North Carolina
- Online: 54%
- Direct Mail: 14%
- Out of Home: 11%
- Directories: 11%
- Radio: 6%
- Newspaper: 2%
- …and so on
So, this is the time to start discussions with CPA firms for their 2018 business and Online channels are the primary focus. Check in with them now, waiting until we are in the season will be too late!
Remember, these results are directly from local SMB’s in OUR MARKETS! They are not just national numbers.
…the new norm
Did You Attend The October Digital Roll-out Webinars-LAST WEEK!
- The deck and recorded webinar is available on the ThriveHive training site, under What’s New.”