2018 Is Starting To Look Clearer
We are not done with 2017 yet, but we already know where 2018 is headed. Borrell Associates has released their forecast for 2018, based on national surveys of local businesses. And it spells out continued growth overall, but not all media will track similarly.
Overall growth for local ad spending in the United States is anticipated to increase by 7.6%. That might sound modest, or it might sound like a huge leap, depending on your perspective, (or your favorite media channel.) The 7.6% increase will be the result of a few categories receiving larger budget portions than the current year, and more categoreis receiving less than the current year. It may be no surpirse that legacy media channels make up most of the latter group.
2018 Forecast, by Media Channel, and 2018 vs 2017 forecast change
- Online, +16.8%
- Local TV. +14.6%
- Out-of-home. +2.8%
- Telemarketing, +1.4%
- Cinema, no change
- TV, -2.0%
- Direct Mail, -2.8%
- Radio, -3.0%
- Other print, -7.0%
- Directories, -10.1%
- Newspapers, -10.3%
What does this mean to me?
We already know that businesses in our local markets will be devoting more than one-half of their advertising spend to online media or channels. And with the 2018 forecast telling us that online media will be the largest area of growth, the story we tell our local customers, our local markets overall, must begin to look and sound like a digital narrative, first-and-foremost! While it is true that many of the businesses in our local markets have relied upon us for print advertising, these same businesses are planning on reducing that spend, and allocating an increase spend to digital. So our primary focus should be on creating the best digital solution for most of these same businesses. And our go-to-market lyrics should look, sound, and feel like ENC Media Group is a digital-first provider. Oh yeah, we also have the best newspapers in our markets, and can reach more local residents than virtually anyone else by including print with our digital solutions. But our expertise and focus will start with digital.
If you don’t believe me, simply ask our local businesses. When they provided their responses to the Borrell SMB Survey in our markets over the summer, online channels were the clear winners in effectiveness and spending plans. Newspapers were still part of the equation, but the growth and added attention is on digital.
Changing our dialogue with the local markets is easy, but changing their perception is not as quick. Look for us to change the way we describe who and what we are in the near future. All of us individually, can be in front of that change, bu making sure that all local businesses start considering our capabilities with a digital-first understanding.
Quote(s) of the week
“The price of doing the same old thing is far higher than the price of change.”
– Bill Clinton
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men’s blood and probably themselves will not be realized. ”
– Daniel Burnham
(Architect, master development plan of Chicago, downtown Washington DC, Manila)
Your MOM Knows Best
- BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
- Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
- Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
- Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
- And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
ENC Sales Calendar
Access the section and event sales calendar online, here.
New ThriveHive Holiday Packages
Collateral on the new ThriveHive Holiday packages can be found on the ThriveHive training site. They have also been downloaded to our drive and are available here. You will also want to check out the guidelines for selling and delivery of these valuable assets, here.
New Social Management Packaging
ThriveHive has improved the Social Management packages making them fit the way that local businesses have been requesting. While the previous packages can still be closed thru Nov. 30, you should no longer be adding them to proposals, instead moving over to the new packages. (Note: I personally closed on one of the old packages last week and will be carrying through with that sale so it’s ok to move forward with the expiring packages if you’ve already included.) Collateral on the new Social Packaging is on the TH training site, and also downloaded to our drive, here.
- As announced in the October Roll Out Webinar, GateHouse has prepared a template for a one-sheet presentation. Multi-slide power points don’t work for all businesses. This new format includes all the salient touch-points of a great marketing campaign discussion. Please access this from the GateHouse Media Portal.
- You can also access the Word version of this presentation here.
Q4 & Holidays Presentations
- Packages, pricing, and presentations are on the drive!
NEW High Impact Inventory On All O&O Site-Interscroller Ad Position!
(Get ready for this ad position, we will be implementing it in several of our packages very quickly!)
IMPORTANT: Q4 Digital Rate Cards On The Drive
- All new campaigns not on previously documented contracts should be on these cards.
PLEASE CHECK THE ADOPS UPDATE IN TODAY’S BLOG FOR IMPORTANT GUIDELINES TO USING THE NEW RATE CARDS!
- All sales personnel are requested to communicate with AdOps via email for all requests. Please help out, if you are not sending your requests via email, a face-to-face or phone request may not be fulfilled.
- All O&O campaigns should be written using the new digital rates. Please help out, campaigns may be delayed if we are uncertain of the rating. Thanks.
- Campaign reports and monthly O&O audience reports are available on the drive. You can access them by selecting the AdOps page from the menu in the upper right hand corner of MOM!
Events & Promotion
VIP Big Game Sweepstakes
National Prize-Tickets To The Superbowl!!!
Local sponsorship of the GateHouse Pro Football Hall of Fame
VIP Big Game Sweepstakes
- Multiple Sponsors
- Presenting Sponsor (just one)
- Sponsorship value of $22K for only $4,730
- Co-Sponsors (multiple opportunities)
- Sponsorship value of $12K for only $2,530
- Presenting Sponsor (just one)
- Both sponsorships are billed in December and January
- Both include OnTarget campaigns and local O&O
- Both include additional promotion including FB posts and email blasts to our registered database
- Both include custom marketing campaigns
- Local businesses can sponsor a chance to win tickets to the Superbowl!!!
Check out the presentation deck here.
ENC Live is…encmedialive.com
Access this site for all up to date information regarding upcoming events. We will be adding information about the Local Media Workshops very soon.
Upcoming ENCLive events
- ENC Home & Holiday Gift Show December 15 & 16, 2017
- ENC Bridal & Special Event Expo January 21, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 29, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 30, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 31, 2018
- ENC Jacksonville Home & Garden Show March 10 & 11, 2018
- ENC New Bern Home & Garden Show March 17 & 18, 2018
Pie Chart of the Week
Non-Ad Spending Dwarfs Ad Spending in 2018, or why we should stop selling ads!
Local businesses in our markets will be devoting a much greater portion of their spending to “non-advertising” methods and solutions in 2018 than on what we might consider to be “advertising.”
In fact, for every $1 local businesses plan to devote to advertising in 2018, they will allocate another $3 to “non-advertising” means. But what actually is “non-advertising” spending?
Click on the graphic for a larger view. You can also copy this for use in presentations.
Take a look at some of the items that make up the growing Non-Advertising category, and you will see that we actually have a great deal to say about this.
What constitutes a Non-Advertising channel?
Website building and website maintananec
Social Media Management
So basically, much of what we are now calling Marketing Services falls under teh “non-advertising” umbrella. And that means that our role with local businesses is NOT about selling advertising, and IS about providing ways by which a local business owner can conduct business more effectively, and reach their audience and business goals. If you wanted to sum this up in one quick statement, it might be that we should actually “STOP SELLING ADS!”
2018 Local Online Ad Expenditures-Online Channels, Borrell 2017 Local SMB Survey (CNC Markets)
Local businesses in our own markets have told us how they may split their digital ad spending in 2018.
- Targeted Display: 32%
- General Search: 30%
- Listings Search: 17%
- Online Video: 15%
- RoS Display: 4%
- Email: 1%
- Online Audio: 1%
(Click on the chart for a larger view, or to download for your presentations.)
This is rather significant and provides us with great direction. While all recommendations should be based on customer needs, this provides us some reassurance that Targeted Display (OnTarget & O&O) can be recommended with assurance in many cases. It is the #1 digital ad channel that our local businesses feel they need to include. We will be working hard to insure that our Targeted Display solutions are part of almost every marketing discussion we have.
- It’s no surprise that General Search shows up so highly, nobody can argue the effectiveness and benefit of SEM campaigns.
- Listings search does cause us to sit up and pay more attention to how we position listings, and improving them can benefit local businesses. ThriveHive’s Local Listings Builder provides ongoing benefit to local businesses that can easily be overlooked.
- Online Video is showing up as more than a “blip on the radar” now. We can expect a great deal of discussion on how we can provide marketing value with video. Look for new product announcements coming in the New Year!
- RoS Display, or “non-targeted” display is not expected to play a major role in most local budgets. This does not mean that our O&O sites are not primary components. It does, however, mean that much of our O&O inventory should be utilized with targeting campaigns. We CAN target on our O&O sites, provided we have offered the right instructions with a campaign to support the customer needs.
This type of chart is of great benefit when included in overall recommendations. Best practice would be to provide it as back up for the overall recommendations made. If our proposals don’t follow the exact % numbers shown that is perfectly ok. However showing how local businesses have stated they plan to focus ad budgets provides a strong un-biased argument in our favor when our solutions are including these components.
See your own local Compass Navigator in your office, or ask me for any additional information. We will also begin to roll out access to Borrell Compass to those that request.
…the new norm
November Digital Webinars from ThriveHive and GateHouse
The November Digital roll out will not feature anything new, but it will offer a recap of all the 2017 digital highlights.
- Dates for the webinars are November 16 @ 1pm eastern and November 17 @ 10am eastern. All sales personnel are asked to attend. Registration is available on the TH training site.