STOP SELLING ADS!
75% of local marketing budgets will be allocated to “non” advertising methods in 2018.
This comes out of the 2017 Borrell SMB survey recently conducted.
So what do we do about it? “Stop selling ads” is a little drastic, but it really refers to focusing more on the long term aspect of marketing for local businesses, and turning those one-time/special event or special section focused discussions into components of a longer term overall marketing plan…one that and enables the local business to succeed. This has been discussed frequently all during 2017, and it will need to become our normal way of doing business in 2018.
For those that are keeping score, this was the subject of the Feb. 6, 2017 edition of MOM (vol. 1.44). In that edition, the whole concept of selling “an ad” to a business, while totally and completely ingrained as a habit of well meaning “ad reps” it is well out of sync with today’s world. The recent Borrell SMB survey has uncovered that 75% of all local marketing dollars are going to be allocated to “non-advertising” means. That includes things like SEO, website development and maintenance, social media management, promotions, discounts, sponsorships, etc. And many of these non-advertising channels are longer term, ongoing products that simply have to be monitored and reviewed more frequently. Last week’s edition of MOM featured a graphic on this subject, the same one featured here. (You can access this graphic here, and it’s available to include as backup in any proposal and presentation.)
So what do I do now?
Our focus for all local businesses is helping them succeed. And success is defined simply as “the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.” No local business in any of our markets sets out to buy advertising. No local business owner wakes up, and looks in a mirror convincing themselves that today is the day that they will discover the perfect ad to buy. Advertising “was” our means of helping local businesses succeed yesterday. The desire to succeed has not changed, the methods for achieving success have. Today we need to stop limiting our discussions to the 25% of our local customers’ marketing and start looking at 100% of it.
How do I do that?
Here are a few ideas, some have already adopted these, that will help us turn away from single occurrence ads, to long term overall marketing services experts in the eyes of local businesses.
- There’s still that nagging 25%…And we are in the business of seeing that we get our fair share of ad dollars in the market. But every time we talk about ad spending, ads, or ad proposals…EVERY TIME…an additional overall marketing suggestion, question, or discussion point can be included. We are marketing services experts and it’s our role to have these discussions, going well beyond the ad.
- Poke Around (code word for do research)…most businesses we work with have a web presence. It’s a neat thing when we can do some poking around on a local business website, or social media page(s) and come up with ideas that they have not already adopted. Sharing those ideas with the perspective of an overall marketing campaign sheds new light on our abilities and capabilities with long term customers that rely on us for ads only. Our role is not to merely provide answers, it is also to question local businesses on how they are accomplish goals. We can provide answers but sometimes local businesses may not know the questions are being raised.
- Set Your Sites On Regular KPI Achievement(s)…y’all know the KPI’s. They all discuss sales goals, and also focus on our premium ThriveHive products…plus…quarterly participation in promotions. These promotions are within the marketing buckets that may not be thought of as advertising, (even if some of the channels used are.)
- Audience Extension With Every Event or Section…special sections and events are means to an end. Every time we discuss one of these “means” with local businesses, a longer term proposal for extending the length and breadth of the marketing message needs to be included. And if it’s a new business, of which we still no little, then a further discussion aligned with overall Sales Transformation can occur.Utilize CRM As A Guide…CRM will be the primary method of tracking. KPI’s, promotions, and ThriveHive sales can all be called out in CRM. Our ability to track and support each other utilizing CRM will be a primary reason for our successes in 2018. CRM will guide our territory and account management by reminding us of longer term goals, and enabling all discussions to revisit those same goals with appropriate recommendations to optimize ongoing campaigns.
As we noted last week, we are not done with 2017 yet, but we already know where 2018 is headed. Borrell’s survey results, forecast for 2018, show ups that spending will increase. And much of that spending will end up in non-advertising buckets. So it’s our job to help our local businesses, and STOP SELLING ADS!
Quote(s) of the week
“If you sit back & spend too much time feeling good about what you did in the past, you’re going to come up short next time ”
“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim to low, and achieving our mark.”
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
ENC Front Page (STICKY NOTE) Sales Blitz
ENC will be holding a sales blitz on Dec 4 to fill up the 2018 Front Page Note schedule. These are exclusive positions, on the front page of the daily newspaper in 2018, all accompanied with great short term digital packages, Rich Media placement, and ROP exposure. Sales only occur when appointments are set, so now is the time to start setting those appointments.
- All scheduled appointments should be made on the official scheduling calendars. Links to these calendars and instructions for calendar use are located on the drive here.
ENC Sales Calendar
- Access the section and event sales calendar online, here.
New ThriveHive Holiday Packages
- Collateral on the new ThriveHive Holiday packages can be found on the ThriveHive training site. They have also been downloaded to our drive and are available here. You will also want to check out the guidelines for selling and delivery of these valuable assets, here.
New Social Management Packaging
- ThriveHive has improved the Social Management packages making them fit the way that local businesses have been requesting. While the previous packages can still be closed thru Nov. 30, you should no longer be adding them to proposals, instead moving over to the new packages. (Note: I personally closed on one of the old packages last week and will be carrying through with that sale so it’s ok to move forward with the expiring packages if you’ve already included.) Collateral on the new Social Packaging is on the TH training site, and also downloaded to our drive, here.
New GateHouse One-Sheet Presentation Form
- As announced in the October Roll Out Webinar, GateHouse has prepared a template for a one-sheet presentation. Multi-slide power points don’t work for all businesses. This new format includes all the salient touch-points of a great marketing campaign discussion. Please access this from the GateHouse Media Portal.
- You can also access the Word version of this presentation here.
Q4 & Holidays Presentations
- Packages, pricing, and presentations are on the drive!
- Campaign reports and monthly O&O audience reports are available on the drive. You can access them by selecting the AdOps page from the menu in the upper right hand corner of MOM!
Events & Promotion
GATEHOUSE IS GIVING AWAY A TRIP TO THE SUPERBOWL!
VIP Big Game Sweepstakes
National Prize-Tickets To The Superbowl!!!
Local sponsorship of the GateHouse Pro Football Hall of Fame
VIP Big Game Sweepstakes
- Multiple Sponsors
- Presenting Sponsor (just one)
- Sponsorship value of $22K for only $4,730
- Co-Sponsors (multiple opportunities)
- Sponsorship value of $12K for only $2,530
- Presenting Sponsor (just one)
- Both sponsorships are billed in December and January
- Both include OnTarget campaigns and local O&O
- Both include additional promotion including FB posts and email blasts to our registered database
- Both include custom marketing campaigns
- Local businesses can sponsor a chance to win tickets to the Superbowl!!!
Check out the presentation deck here.
ENC Live is…encmedialive.com
Access this site for all up to date information regarding upcoming events. We will be adding information about the Local Media Workshops very soon.
Upcoming ENCLive events
- ENC Home & Holiday Gift Show December 15 & 16, 2017
- ENC Bridal & Special Event Expo January 21, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 29, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 30, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 31, 2018
- ENC Jacksonville Home & Garden Show March 10 & 11, 2018
- ENC New Bern Home & Garden Show March 17 & 18, 2018
Pie Chart of the Week
Targeted Display Eclipses Search (Updated chart!)
Where are digital dollars going to be spent in 2018? The recent SMB surveys tell us that Targeted Display is going to continue to grow, making up almost 1/3 of all local digital spending. Search will be a close second, and interestingly, “Lisitngs” search will be #3.
Listings Search comes very close to falling in the “non-ad” spending category talked about early in today’s edition. Insuring that local listings are intact, accurate, and consistent, is now being recognized as a very strong part of an advertisers overall makreting plan.
This is a good reminder that we cannot forget about conducting Digital Audits for local businesses and watching their listings for them, closely.
True story: a recently closed TH contract in New Bern, included local listings builder for a local customer’s JACKSONVILLE location, because those listings were overlooked for a long time. The New Bern marketing sales representative did a good job of uncovering the Jacksonville problem, convincing the local New Bern business that we could help and was able to easily fit it into the overall recommendation. The hoped for result will be a much more easily found Jacksonville location for this New Bern-based business. Nice work!
Click on the graphic for a larger view. You can also copy this for use in presentations.
NEW!-ENC Media Group Brochures
Just in…we have new ENC Media Group Sales Brochures that are available for all sales personnel. These great new brochures provide an overview of ENC Media Group, print and digital. As we continue to brand ourselves as a regional marketing powerhouse, this will help explain the overall capabilities and reach of our local properties, ENC Media Group, ThriveHive, and GateHouse Media.
These brochures will be available at all properties, and if you need more, let us know.
…the new norm
November Digital Webinars from ThriveHive and GateHouse
The November Digital roll out will not feature anything new, but it will offer a recap of all the 2017 digital highlights.
- Dates for the webinars are November 16 @ 1pm eastern and November 17 @ 10am eastern. All sales personnel are asked to attend. Registration is available on the TH training site.