He Did It All In Just One Night!
Hi, I’m Ebenezer, Multimedia Sales Consultant. And I am a new man. Last night I was visited by 3 spirits, and they showed me where I’ve been, where I am today, really, in the eyes of advertisers and clients, and where I am going. As my new “bestie” Spirit # 3 put it, these were the “shadows of things that May be…”, (“May” being the operable word.) I didn’t get much sleep last night, but I’m still feeling energized. “I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy. I am as giddy as”, ok enough of the book excerpts, you get the picture. There’s much to be excited about! Let me tell you about last night.
Spirit #1, The Spirit of Newspapers Past. He took me to my old newspaper, I remember the pace, it was slower than today, things seemed more manageable. Advertisers were a little more interested in the newspaper and what I had to offer.
But as time went on, a few more competitive options started to arise, and then local businesses started to ask a question or two about measuring responses, audience reach, demographics, etc. It was ok for a while because I could adjust the ad rates to quiet some of the questions, but the competition seemed to be getting tougher all the time. Then there was this digital thing coming along, what was that about? Looked like a fun toy but gave me an uncomfortable feeling.
Spirit #2, The Spirit of Newspapers Present. She let me see today’s world as it really is, through the eyes of local businesses, not the perspective that I have from inside the operation. All the businesses I know were there, they knew who I was, and they knew my newspaper reached an audience. But they also knew it is not the only audience. So I make sure that I am able to tell them I “do digital” also. But they hearing the same thing from 18-20 other marketing service providers every month that sound eerily similar. And a bunch of them are pretty good. As a result the same customers I am serving are also doing business with them, as many as 8 or 9 them…and I thought I had my bases covered!.
So this spirit showed me that I am just one of many providers that serve local businesses. And she reminded me that I have to stay on top of ongoing changes in new opportunities for local businesses, that means constant training. Because if I don’t, one of these other guys will. This spirit showed me today’s world like a local business owner sees it. They have alot of options, and just because I have the newspaper at my side, that doesn’t change that fact that they only want the best service, advice and results.
Spirit #3, The Spirit of Newspapers Future. This was the spirit I “fear more than any spectre I have seen”. This guy was scary, looked kind of like a cross between Bill Belichik and Darth Vader. What spirit #3 showed me didn’t look like newspapers at all. Nobody was looking or talking about a newspaper. Everyone was looking at, or texting on a mobile device. Shoppers were comparing prices, sending messages to their friends, and reading reviews, and entering reviews. They were doing this all hours of the day…and night. Spirit #3 showed me local businesses that were looking at the results of their marketing campaigns on a tablet and mobile device using a dashboard, but not mine, it was a competitor’s dashboard. Sheeze…everyone has a dashboard!
And at the end of my visit with spirit #3, I was left alone looking at a slab of granite, a gravestone, with “NEWSPAPERS” carved into the facing. I yelled out loud…”Spirit (and clutched at his robe, or hoody, I am not quite sure), hear me! I am not the man I was. I will not be the man I must have been… Why show me this, if I am past all hope?”
The next thing I knew I was awake, it was already dawn. Fearing the worst, I looked outside and was relieved to see daily newspaper lying on my front porch. But I also looked at my phone to catch updates, and reviewing my social media feed, and national news on my tablet. My newspaper was still there, the future on the gravestone that Spirit #3 showed me has not occurred, and there is can still maintain my relevance in my own local community. At that moment, I understood that it’s not about the “news” or the “paper”…and I committed to being “as good a master” of emerging marketing channels for local businesses as possible.
Quote of the week
“See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don’t know how to *hold* the reservation and that’s really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them. ”
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
UPDATE! ENC Front Page (STICKY NOTE) Sales Blitz
Remember the dates for the sales blitz are Dec 4 thru Dec 8. Expect Weeks personnel to be on site as follows: Jacksonville, Mon, Tues, Thurs. Fri; Kinston, Tues, Wed, Thurs; New Bern, Mon, Wed, Fri. If you are unable to schedule on these days for your office, don’t worry. We will see that Weeks personnel or ENC personnel are available for any and all appointments. Please schedule all appointment on the calendars, here.
- The presentation decks, leave behinds and Letters of Commitment are located on the drive here.
*Letter of commitment should be available at all times, we will accept these when reserving 2018 Sticky Note dates.
NEW! Local Media Workshops coming in January!
We will again be hosting Michael Blinder for us “updated” small business seminars. This year look for more on social media, and packages that will be more digitally focused than ever. Local businesses will begin to see more about this with an email campaign right after Thanksgiving, following up with social media. All MMSE’s will have collateral for email and hand outs.
Also, this year we will have local Chamber of Commerce’s in several communities as sponsors, so our communication will be stronger than ever!
- Wilmington-Jan 17 & 18
- ENC-Jan 29 thru 31
ENC Sales Calendar
- Access the section and event sales calendar online, here.
ThriveHive Holiday Packages
- Collateral on the new ThriveHive Holiday packages can be found on the ThriveHive training site. They have also been downloaded to our drive and are available here. You will also want to check out the guidelines for selling and delivery of these valuable assets, here.
Social Management Packaging
- ThriveHive has improved the Social Management packages making them fit the way that local businesses have been requesting. While the previous packages can still be closed thru Nov. 30, you should no longer be adding them to proposals, instead moving over to the new packages. (Note: I personally closed on one of the old packages last week and will be carrying through with that sale so it’s ok to move forward with the expiring packages if you’ve already included.) Collateral on the new Social Packaging is on the TH training site, and also downloaded to our drive, here.
Presentation Templates-EZ2 yuze!
New GateHouse One-Sheet Presentation Form
- As announced in the October Roll Out Webinar, GateHouse has prepared a template for a one-sheet presentation. Multi-slide power points don’t work for all businesses. This new format includes all the salient touch-points of a great marketing campaign discussion. Please access this from the GateHouse Media Portal.
- You can also access the Word version of this presentation here.
- Packages, pricing, and presentations are on the drive!
- Please make sure you are using the most updated digital ticket . And make sure that when you save it to your computer that it doesn’t look like this EIO-ENC (1). Nothing, no letter, number or symbol, should be following ENC. If it does please rename it to reflect that.
- All 2018 requests for position must be accompanied with the written commitment/contract from customers. If this is an existing 2017 commitment that was made including 2018 dates please make sure we are able to review the commitment/contract. Thanks.
- ALL RICH MEDIA CREATIVE must be approved 48 hours in advance, and allow 48 hours for rich media ad creation. Any advertising submitted with a shorter turn-around simply cannot be fulfilled. We really do not control this here, it is the same for all GateHouse Media sales operations.
- Latest reports just uploaded!-Campaign reports and monthly O&O audience reports are available on the drive. You can access them by selecting the AdOps page from the menu in the upper right hand corner of MOM!
Events & Promotion
NEW-Promotions Coming Your Way Soon!
- Pro Football Playoffs
- 2018 Tax Preparation Quizzes
- Valentine’s Day Sweepstakes
- College Hoops!
- 2018 MCAS Cherry Point Air Show!
- …and custom promotions built specifically for your own customer’s needs!
Look for details soon!
GATEHOUSE IS GIVING AWAY A TRIP TO THE SUPERBOWL!
CLOSING 12/1/17-VIP Big Game Sweepstakes
National Prize-Tickets To The Superbowl!!!
VIP Big Game Sweepstakes-Local Sponsorship
- Multiple Sponsors
- Presenting Sponsor (just one)
- Sponsorship value of $22K for only $4,730
- Co-Sponsors (multiple opportunities)
- Sponsorship value of $12K for only $2,530
- Both sponsorships are billed in December and January
- Both include OnTarget campaigns and local O&O
- Both include additional promotion, FB posts and email blasts
- Both include custom marketing campaigns
- Local businesses can sponsor a chance to win tickets to the Superbowl!!!
Check out the presentation deck here.
ENC Live is…encmedialive.com
Access this site for all up to date information regarding upcoming events. We will be adding information about the Local Media Workshops very soon.
Upcoming ENCLive events
- ENC Home & Holiday Gift Show December 15 & 16, 2017
- ENC Bridal & Special Event Expo January 21, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 29, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 30, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 31, 2018
- ENC Jacksonville Home & Garden Show March 10 & 11, 2018
- ENC New Bern Home & Garden Show March 17 & 18, 2018
Google Analytics for Beginners-Have You Uploaded Your Certificate?
If you have not uploaded your certificate, you have not finished the training yet! This is a very simple process. Here are instructions on how to do this. Once you have uploaded your certificate, you can consider yourself passed and on your way to the next level!
NEW-Pie Chart of the Week
Furniture Sales-Ad Spending in 2018
2018 spending for Furniture sales is continuing go skew heavily towards digital channels. Local TV and Newspapers are second, but a distant second at that.
- 11%-Local TV
- 9% Other Print
But what is behind these numbers, or rather where the online spend is coming from is much bigger news. It turns out only channels of advertising (Online and Cinema) are going to see overall increases when comparing 2016 full year spending to 2018 forecasts.
All methods of print (newspaper, other print, and directories, i.e. Yellow Pages) are expected to see large drops in spending. Local TV, Cable TV, and Direct Mail are also expected to see drops in spending. What is not changing from 2016 to the 2018 forecast is the total ad budget, this is expected to remain relatively flat. So, simple, or not so simple, math will suggest that recommending increases in spending from local furniture sellers will mean the dollars will be coming from another pocket. Or in plain English, don’t expect increases in ad budgets, take it from the competition!
Click on the graphic for a larger view. You can also copy this for use in presentations.
NEW-Google Infographics from ThriveHive
Take a look at the ThriveHive training site under Resources for a peak at the entire gallery of Google Infographics. (These are the kind of graphics that make me look smart…and I can use all the help that I can get!) This gallery will be dynamic, more added as they are available. For now, there is a wide variety of business categories available.
Infographics are great cool ways to get the point across. Check out the entire gallery, download the one(s) that fit your customer discussions and presentations.
NEW-Holiday eCards Available
GateHouse Media has prepared attractive eCards for you to personalize and send to clients. You may already have seen this last week, with the recent GateHouse Sales & Marketing Newsletter. But just in case you can also access the cards and instructions here. Go ahead and download the one you wish to use, and the accompanying instructions, and share your holiday wishes for a great season and thank them for their business.
ENC Media Group Brochures
Just in…we have new ENC Media Group Sales Brochures that are available for all sales personnel. These great new brochures provide an overview of ENC Media Group, print and digital. As we continue to brand ourselves as a regional marketing powerhouse, this will help explain the overall capabilities and reach of our local properties, ENC Media Group, ThriveHive, and GateHouse Media.
These brochures will be available at all properties, and if you need more, let us know.
…the new norm
NEW-Google Analytics for Beginners-Have You Uploaded Your Certificate?
- If you have not uploaded your certificate, you have not finished the training yet! This is a very simple process. Here are instructions on how to do this. Once you have uploaded your certificate, you can consider yourself passed and on your way to the next level!
November Digital Webinars from ThriveHive and GateHouse
- Don’t forget to access the rebroadcast of the GateHouse and ThriveHive November Rollout webinar, from the TH training website, under What’s New. Lot’s of great reminders of 2017 product roll outs that are proven!