If you are like many people I know, the week between Christmas and New Year’s will not always see the greatest amount of progress on a scorecard. Decisions bet pushed aside in favor of holiday cheer, and the most sophisticated planning that takes place is timing the visits to multiple sets of parents, grand-parents, and New Year’s party-givers. So this year MOM doesn’t ask anyone to do anything, except to simply get ready to HIT THE GROUND RUNNING STARTING JAN. 2!
The Coastal North Carolina group now has a higher focus on communication than ever before, and hopefully that is visible. The result should be better planning tools for customer discussions, better and longer-term marketing proposals for local businesses, and more sustainable (renewable) campaigns.
This edition of MOM, basically is just emphasizing tools that we already have available, and a request for all to sound off (respond to any of the posts) if there is something better that you would like to see. The remainder of this week’s posting is a reminder of where to find calendars, reports, contact information, deadlines, workflow modifications, product updates, and general business forecasts that will make it a little easier for all of us to do our jobs. You will also continue to see a focus on trying to make the job of closing and fulfilling campaigns easier through the entire year.
Every member of the StarNews Media and ENC Media Group marketing sales team(s) has taken in much over the past year. There will continue to be changes in the way we do our jobs, the way we communicate to our markets, and the way we want to be perceived by the marketplace. The least we can also do is to try to make these changes plain, simple, and easy to accomplish. MOM has your back on that, and will listen to any voice that has a suggestion going forward.
So MOM’s gift to y’all (as I try desperately to shake some of the “Yankee” off my vernacular) is to take a breather and celebrate the holiday season…just not too long of a breather. We have much right around the corner, and we’ll do our best to support the road to success that everyone is navigating.
Quote(s) of the week
“You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.”
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
NEW! Local Media Workshops-RSVP’s Top Priority
The LMW’s take place in mid-January (Wilmington) and end of the month (ENC) as follows:
- Jan 17, 2008, 4:00-5:30 (Real Estate), Hampton Inn – Medical Park
- Jan 17, 2018, 8:30-10:00 and 12:00-1:30, Hampton Inn – Medical Park
- Jan 18, 2018, 8:30-10:00 and 12:00-1:30, Hampton Inn – Medical Park
- Jan 29, 2018-Kinston, 11:30-1:00, Hampton Inn – Kinston
- Jan 30, 2018-Jacksonville, 8:30-10:00 and 11:30-1:00, Courtyard Suites by Marriott – Jacksonville
- Jan 31, 2018-New Bern, 8:30-10:00 and 11:30-1:00, DoubleTree by Hilton – New Bern
All attendees must register here: http://www.LocalMediaWorkshops.com
Promotion has already begun in both markets. Look for a combination of print, social, digital and email marketing to invite local businesses. Remember, all attendees must register in advance on the page noted above. This same page will be linked to all promotion. The ENCLive website will also feature news about the events! One sheets and postcards are being prepared.
This is NOT selling attendees, this is simply doing them a favor, by letting them know we are having a seminar. THERE IS NO OBLIGATION TO PURCHASE ANYTHING! These workshops will provide direction, with no obligation from attendees. Let the workshop do the work!
UPDATE! Internal Sales Calendar
- Note: This is an INTERNAL calendar, to be used for scheduling sales activity and planning. Customer facing calendars are being prepared quickly. This is a “live” calendar that is available 24/7, via all devices. This is a great tool that will enable access to sales dates, deadlines, and future scheduling. Show customers what will work for them for the entire year, not just next week. Access the section and event sales calendar online, here.
UPDATE! The 70% Solution
- StarNewsOnline is finishing the year in style with a strong 70+% sell thru. In fact, today’s report puts this at 80+%!
- ENC Media Group has two sites over the 70% mark, New Bern @ 90+% and Kinston @ 80+%.
2018 Q1 Kick off Deck
For those that still have not accessed, here is the deck from last week’s kick off meeting. We will have all sales meeting decks posted to the drive after our weekly webinars as well. These are available on all devices, 24/7 access…just the thing for your late night reading, when you are settling down with a warm cup of cocoa before going to bed. Doesn’t everyone? 🙂
NEW! Tablet Reimbursement Policy
As you heard in our Q1 Kick-off meeting, MMSE’s at ENC Media Group and StarNews Media are now eligible for reimbursement with th epurchase of a standard iPad or iPad Pro. Our goal is to support, develop, (and yes even brag about) the most elite sales team in the GateHouse network. Insuring that we all have state-of-the-art tools is just one step towards that goal. Explanation of the policy and the required Reimbursement Form are now on the CNC Sales Folder. Please save this entire folder to your Drive for future reference. Here’s a couple of quick details on this policy.
- This is limited to standard iPad and iPad Pro models only at this time. In “non-technical” jargon, iOS is a very stable, consistent, secure and robust platform that will support all of our efforts. If additional tablet models meet the same requirements we can have those added in to the policy as well, but for now, we are limiting only to these models.
- The Tablet Reimbursement Form should be completed and submitted along with a copy of the receipt for approval. Your manager will submit all approved documents to HR, then it will be submitted as reimbursement through payroll.
- All MMSE’s will be expected to utilize the tablets in the field and as a part of their regular responsibilities. However, the tablet itself is the property of the individual making the purchase…it is yours!
- Several apps will be required for download through the Apple Store, but to my knowledge all are free…(i.e. Google Drive, Gmail and Google calendar if you prefer, etc.)
- Any/all presentations prepared in PowerPoint can be saved in PDF format and can be downloaded onto the units for view. (Limiting transitions, graphics, etc. is best practice for customer view anyway.)
ENCMG 4-Legged Call Schedule
The schedule of dates/locations for manager ride-along’s in ENC markets is located here.
UPDATE! ENC Front Page Note Calendar
Please make sure that all tickets are in the system by December 29th. At that AdOps will transfer orders over to the O&O Calendars that we use on a daily basis. There you will find your reservation and the ticket number. If the note has been ordered it will be highlighted as usual and if your Digital reservation is highlighted that means that we have your SBB/Interscroller copy and it is good to go.
Going forward please check the calendar weekly to see what is coming up for you. We try to send out reminders but just like you sometimes we miss things.
We also have a new extra contact for reservation on the sticky note calendar, O&O calendar , Front page strip calendar Please continue to contact Digital Ad Coordinator Jennifer Fryer, or AdOps Coordinator Tina Gilmore for all reservations on calendars, but you may now also contact Angie Bialas, (firstname.lastname@example.org #8419) for the same.
UPDATED! Digital Reports
- Check the AdOps tab on MOM’s menu for all reports, available 24/7 via any device!
- Monthly O&O Website Audience Reports are available for all CNC. StarNews reports are available here as well.
ENC D-TICKET Update
- Please make sure you are using the most updated digital ticket . And make sure that when you save it to your computer that it doesn’t look like this EIO-ENC (1). Nothing, no letter, number or symbol, should be following ENC. If it does please rename it to reflect that.
- RICH MEDIA CREATIVE MUST BE APPROVED 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE. In addition, please allow 48 hours for rich media ad creation. Any advertising submitted with a shorter turn-around simply cannot be fulfilled. We really do not control this here, it is the same for all GateHouse Media sales operations.
Events & Promotion
NEW! 2018 Honeymoon Giveaway
That’s right, we are giving away a cruise to a lucky couple! What bridal advertiser wouldn’t want to be a part of that?!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Title Sponsor, 4 Co-Sponsors
- For ENC and Wilmington
- Audience is brides planning their weddings
- Promotion will be displayed at the 2018 Bridal and Special Events Show in January
NEW! 2018 Home Improvement
This may not be a cruise but lucky winners can win brand new products for their home!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Title Sponsor, 4 Co-Sponsors, multiple Basic Packages available!
- Category Exclusivity for sponsors (i.e. only one mattress store, one light store, one painter, et.c)
- Will be shown during the 2018 Home and Garden Shows in New Bern and Jacksonville in March
- For ENC and Wilmington
- Audience is homeowners, renters, people looking for home improvement
2018 College Hoops Challenge
With thousands of people watch March Madness… why not give our advertisers a taste of that audience?!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Slam Dunk Sponsor, 4 3-Pointer Sponsors, multiple Lay-Up Sponsors available!
- Large Audience engaged in promotion – they have a chance to win big ($1 million in cash prizes, PS4 Pro, and Fatheads)
- Advertisers can win big too – National Champion will win a DOUBLE TRUCK!
- Available for all properties of CNC
And that’s only the beginning!
- 2018 Tailgate Giveaway
- 2018 Tax Prep Quizzes and Sweepstakes
- 2018 Valentine’s Day Staycation Giveaway
- Anything you can think of!
Check out the ENCLive website…encmedialive.com
Access this site for all up to date information regarding upcoming events. We will be adding information about the Local Media Workshops very soon.
Upcoming ENCLive events
- Local Media Workshops (Wilmington), Januarly 17 & 18, 2018-To Come
- ENC Bridal & Special Event Expo January 21, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 29, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 30, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 31, 2018
- ENC Jacksonville Home & Garden Show March 10 & 11, 2018
- ENC New Bern Home & Garden Show March 17 & 18, 2018
ENC Media Group Brochures
We have new ENC Media Group Sales Brochures that are available for all sales personnel. These great new brochures provide an overview of ENC Media Group, print and digital. As we continue to brand ourselves as a regional marketing powerhouse, this will help explain the overall capabilities and reach of our local properties, ENC Media Group, ThriveHive, and GateHouse Media.
StarNews Media brochures and regionally focused Coastal North Carolina Group brochures are currently in the works. Look for them in Q1!