Numbers, numbers, numbers…every day we have to look at, recite, remember, and perform to numbers. The neat thing about the internet in many cases, is that you don’t have to memorize the numbers, you can always look them up. But even if that is the case, they are still there, they are the result of hard facts.
Below, is a set of numbers that is very relevant to our new year as they spell out where local businesses in our markets are headed this year. They clearly show the reasons why our internal and external focus is digital. These numbers are available on all the research we’ve shared previously, but don’t hesitate to ask if you have questions.
And finally, it might be wise for sales personnel to hold very close, and digest the last set in this list, in red type. These specific numbers will be looked at and reviewed frequently, as they are how we will all start to look at our performance in 2018.
Welcome to 2018!
- 2017-that was last year, and it doesn’t matter any more because whatever local customers did then may not work this year.
- 42,924-the estimated number of small businesses located within our 7-county market(s).
- 10-the % of these businesses if we are lucky that we may do business with on a regular basis.
- 53-the % of ad budget dollars forecast to be dedicated to online channels in our markets in 2018.
- 8-the % of ad budget dollars forecast to be dedicated to newspapers in our markets in 2018.
- 150,000,000-the number of standard ad unit impressions Coastal NC websites will deliver in ’18.
- 21,800,000 -the $ difference between what local businesses are forecast to invest in search vs newspaper in ’18…that’s $21,800,000 million more!
- 12,800,000-the $ difference between what local businesses are forecast to invest in targeted display vs newspaper in ’18…that’s $12,800,000 million more!
- 820,000-the $ difference between what local businesses are forecast to invest in online video vs newspaper in ’18…that’s $820,000 more!
- 9.4-the number of hours, on average, local SMB’s in our markets spend weekly working on their marketing/advertising
- 3-the min. number of Rich Media ad positions each MMSE should aim to close each month in ’18
- 2-the min. number of new ThriveHive contracts each MMSE should aim to close each month in ’18
- 2-the min. number of new audience-based packages each MMSE should aim to close each month in ’18.
- 50-the min. % of each MMSE’s active customers that should be purchasing some form of digital marketing services from us in ’18.
- 500 thousand-the min. number of monthly newspaper.com ad impressions each MMSE in Wilmington and Jacksonville should be aiming at in ’18.
- 250 thousand-the min. number of monthly newspaper.com ad impressions each MMSE in Kinston and New Bern should be aiming at in ’18.
- 10-the min. YoY % increase in digital sales revenue each MMSE should achieve each month in ’18.
Happy New Year!
Quote(s) of the week
“No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.”
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
NEW! Competition-Cable TV
It’s always a good idea to know what your competition is up to…
Spending in local TV is anticipated to increase. It is forecast to exceed spending in newspapers in 2018. Overall TV has done, in the opinion of some researchers, a better job of presenting digital solutions to SMB’s. The Borrell SMB study recently concluded in our market says so. So what are the benefits of local cable tv to advertisers? What are they telling businesses in our markets?
Here’s a YouTube video from a cable TV consultant bragging about why broadcast just might be the best buy for local businesses.
2018 ThriveHive Winter Solutions Academy
Join the Training Team for a series of live webinars to learn individual solutions and ask questions in a virtual classroom. You can attend a single session or all. When you register you’re automatically enrolled in all the sessions. Register for these important updated training sessions @ the ThriveHive training website.
Webinars are scheduled for Thursdays at Noon Eastern / 9 am Pacific starting February 1st and last for about an hour. If you can’t attend one of the live sessions, you can access the On Demand Academy from the Training site.
UPDATE! Local Media Workshops-RSVP’s Top Priority
- Venues are set
- Social media marketing has begun
- Email marketing campaigns have started
- Marketing has also begun in our own digital and print media
- Newsrooms are pitching in with stories about these events
- Handouts are prepared and available to all for distribution
Now it’s up to our sales teams!
- Jan 17, 2008, 4:00-5:30 (Real Estate), Hampton Inn – Medical Park
- Jan 17, 2018, 8:30-10:00 and 12:00-1:30, Hampton Inn – Medical Park
- Jan 18, 2018, 8:30-10:00 and 12:00-1:30, Hampton Inn – Medical Park
- Jan 29, 2018-Kinston, 11:30-1:00, Hampton Inn – Kinston
- Jan 30, 2018-Jacksonville, 8:30-10:00 and 11:30-1:00, Courtyard Suites by Marriott – Jacksonville
- Jan 31, 2018-New Bern, 8:30-10:00 and 11:30-1:00, DoubleTree by Hilton – New Bern
All attendees must register here: http://www.LocalMediaWorkshops.com
Remember, all attendees must register in advance on the page noted above. This same page will be linked to all promotion. The ENCLive website also features news about the events! One sheets and postcards are being prepared.
This is NOT selling attendees, this is simply doing them a favor, by letting them know we are having a seminar. THERE IS NO OBLIGATION TO PURCHASE ANYTHING! These workshops will provide direction, with no obligation from attendees. Let the workshop do the work!
Internal Sales Calendar
- Note: This is an INTERNAL calendar, to be used for scheduling sales activity and planning. Customer facing calendars are being prepared quickly. This is a “live” calendar that is available 24/7, via all devices. This is a great tool that will enable access to sales dates, deadlines, and future scheduling. Show customers what will work for them for the entire year, not just next week. Access the section and event sales calendar online, here.
UPDATE! The 70% Solution
- Sell thru report for CNC sites is availble, check the AdOps page from the upper right corner menu of this blog.
- Early month reports tend to show variances caused by incomplete orders set in GateHouse AdOps, these variances will correct with the next week’s edition.
UPDATE! Tablet Reimbursement Policy
As you heard in our Q1 Kick-off meeting, MMSE’s at ENC Media Group and StarNews Media are now eligible for reimbursement with th epurchase of a standard iPad or iPad Pro. Our goal is to support, develop, (and yes even brag about) the most elite sales team in the GateHouse network. Insuring that we all have state-of-the-art tools is just one step towards that goal. Explanation of the policy and the required Reimbursement Form are now on the CNC Sales Folder. Please save this entire folder to your Drive for future reference. Here’s a couple of quick details on this policy.
- This is limited to standard iPad and iPad Pro models only at this time. In “non-technical” jargon, iOS is a very stable, consistent, secure and robust platform that will support all of our efforts. If additional tablet models meet the same requirements we can have those added in to the policy as well, but for now, we are limiting only to these models.
- The Tablet Reimbursement Form should be completed and submitted along with a copy of the receipt for approval. Your manager will submit all approved documents to HR, then it will be submitted as reimbursement through payroll.
- All MMSE’s will be expected to utilize the tablets in the field and as a part of their regular responsibilities. However, the tablet itself is the property of the individual making the purchase…it is yours!
- Several apps will be required for download through the Apple Store, but to my knowledge all are free…(i.e. Google Drive, Gmail and Google calendar if you prefer, etc.)
- Any/all presentations prepared in PowerPoint can be saved in PDF format and can be downloaded onto the units for view. (Limiting transitions, graphics, etc. is best practice for customer view anyway.)
ENCMG 4-Legged Call Schedule
The schedule of dates/locations for manager ride-along’s in ENC markets is located here.
NEW! Wilmington campaign reports now available with ENC reports
- Ad Campaign reports are available for ENC and for Wilmington O&O campaigns from the AdOps page you can find from the upper right corner menu of this blog.
UPDATE! ENC Front Page Note Calendar
Please make sure that all tickets are in the system by December 29th. At that AdOps will transfer orders over to the O&O Calendars that we use on a daily basis. There you will find your reservation and the ticket number. If the note has been ordered it will be highlighted as usual and if your Digital reservation is highlighted that means that we have your SBB/Interscroller copy and it is good to go.
Going forward please check the calendar weekly to see what is coming up for you. We try to send out reminders but just like you sometimes we miss things.
We also have a new extra contact for reservation on the sticky note calendar, O&O calendar , Front page strip calendar Please continue to contact Digital Ad Coordinator Jennifer Fryer, or AdOps Coordinator Tina Gilmore for all reservations on calendars, but you may now also contact Angie Bialas, (email@example.com #8419) for the same.
UPDATED! Digital Reports
- Check the AdOps tab on MOM’s menu for all reports, available 24/7 via any device!
- Monthly O&O Website Audience Reports are available for all CNC. StarNews reports are available here as
Events & Promotion
NEW!-2018 is here and we are already behind!
- Tailgate Giveaway
- Valentine’s Day Sweepstakes
- Tax Prep Sweepstakes
- College Hoops
- Honeymoon Giveaway
- Home Improvement Sweepstakes
Alissa will be reaching out about prospects for these promotions… get your lists ready! Or reach out to her about anyone you have in mind!
NEW! 2018 Honeymoon Giveaway
That’s right, we are giving away a cruise to a lucky couple! What bridal advertiser wouldn’t want to be a part of that?!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Title Sponsor, 4 Co-Sponsors
- For ENC and Wilmington
- Audience is brides planning their weddings
- Promotion will be displayed at the 2018 Bridal and Special Events Show in January
NEW! 2018 Home Improvement
This may not be a cruise but lucky winners can win brand new products for their home!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Title Sponsor, 4 Co-Sponsors, multiple Basic Packages available!
- Category Exclusivity for sponsors (i.e. only one mattress store, one light store, one painter, et.c)
- Will be shown during the 2018 Home and Garden Shows in New Bern and Jacksonville in March
- For ENC and Wilmington
- Audience is homeowners, renters, people looking for home improvement
2018 College Hoops Challenge
With thousands of people watch March Madness… why not give our advertisers a taste of that audience?!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Slam Dunk Sponsor, 4 3-Pointer Sponsors, multiple Lay-Up Sponsors available!
- Large Audience engaged in promotion – they have a chance to win big ($1 million in cash prizes, PS4 Pro, and Fatheads)
- Advertisers can win big too – National Champion will win a DOUBLE TRUCK!
- Available for all properties of CNC
And that’s only the beginning!
- 2018 Tailgate Giveaway
- 2018 Tax Prep Quizzes and Sweepstakes
- 2018 Valentine’s Day Staycation Giveaway
- Anything you can think of!
Check out the ENCLive website…encmedialive.com
- StarNews Media Local Media Workshops, January 17 & 18, 2018
- Bridal & Special Event Expo – January 21st
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 29, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 30, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 31, 2018
- Home and Garden Show, Jacksonville – March 10th & 11th
- Home and Garden Show, New Bern – March 17th & 18th
ENC Media Group Brochures
We have new ENC Media Group Sales Brochures that are available for all sales personnel. These great new brochures provide an overview of ENC Media Group, print and digital. As we continue to brand ourselves as a regional marketing powerhouse, this will help explain the overall capabilities and reach of our local properties, ENC Media Group, ThriveHive, and GateHouse Media.
StarNews Media brochures and regionally focused Coastal North Carolina Group brochures are currently in the works. Look for them in Q1!