We are on the verge of our 2018 Local Marketing Workshops in Jacksonville, Kinston, New Bern and Wilmington. While these events lead to customer visits, sales proposals and marketing commitments that we can count on throughout the year, there is a bigger reason for these events. The larger scope of the workshops is educational. These workshops are opportunities to help teach all local businesses in our markets how to conduct better, more productive marketing for their local businesses. That obviously can lead to our advantage, but the most important part is to help educate local businesses. Here’s why.
- 70% of local SMB’s consider themselves a novice or apprentice when it comes to managing their own marketing. (Borrell Assoc. 2017)
- SMBs ARE NOT looking for someone…to try to convince them that one medium is better than another; THEY ARE looking for sound advice — a marketing expert they can trust. (Borrell Assoc. 2016)
The bottom line is that local businesses don’t want us to sell them “stuff.” What they want is an advisor, someone that has their best interest at heart and will make recommendations that will have those interest in mind. We have access to experts daily with ThriveHive and our own local level of expertise. But add to that Michael Blinder, with global experience across all media, and we have a great opportunity to help educated the local markets.
But what’s in it for me?
It’s true that the workshops are educational opportunities for local businesses. But what about us? How do we benefit from successfully bringing 50, 60, or 70 businesses each to one of of these events? (Remember, there are more than 42,000 local businesses in our markets.) According to CEB, a subsidiary of Gartner, top performing sales personnel in today’s environment share the following.
- They teach their customers.
- Then they tailor their sales message to the customer.
- They always take and maintain control of the sale.
Our workshops teach. The packages we provide allow all of us to tailor the sales message to the customer through needs analyziz, and subtle package modifications. And finally, you and our invited experts control the sale by matching our solutions with the needs of the prospect.
In the end the Local Marketing Workshops hit every touchpoint along the way to providing excellent solutions and service to local businesses.
The selling has not begun!!!!
We are not selling advertising with this invitation, we are providing a FREE opportunity for any business within our reach to come and learn more about how their business can thrive. That is the message. So our goal is simply to communicate this to as many local businesses as possible. This is a win-win scenario for all of us.
Our local businesses are looking to us for leadership. Good luck in 2018.
Quote of the week
“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
UPDATE! Local Media Workshops-RSVP’s Top Priority
- Venues are set
- Social media marketing has begun
- Email marketing campaigns have started
- Marketing has also begun in our own digital and print media
- Newsrooms are pitching in with stories about these events
- Handouts/invites are prepared and available to all for distribution
- Attendee lists are here: StarNews Media and ENC Media Group
Now it’s up to our sales teams!
- Jan 17, 2008, 4:00-5:30 (Real Estate), Hampton Inn – Medical Park
- Jan 17, 2018, 8:30-10:00 and 12:00-1:30, Hampton Inn – Medical Park
- Jan 18, 2018, 8:30-10:00 and 12:00-1:30, Hampton Inn – Medical Park
- Jan 29, 2018-Kinston, 11:30-1:00, Hampton Inn – Kinston
- Jan 30, 2018-Jacksonville, 8:30-10:00 and 11:30-1:00, Courtyard Suites by Marriott – Jacksonville
- Jan 31, 2018-New Bern, 8:30-10:00 and 11:30-1:00, DoubleTree by Hilton – New Bern
All attendees must register here: http://www.LocalMediaWorkshops.com
Remember, all attendees must register in advance on the page noted above. This same page will be linked to all promotion. The ENCLive website also features news about the events! One sheets and postcards are being prepared.
This is NOT selling attendees, this is simply doing them a favor, by letting them know we are having a seminar. THERE IS NO OBLIGATION TO PURCHASE ANYTHING! These workshops will provide direction, with no obligation from attendees. Let the workshop do the work!
Internal Sales Calendar
- This is an INTERNAL calendar, to be used for scheduling sales activity and planning. Customer facing calendars are being prepared quickly. This is a “live” calendar that is available 24/7, via all devices. This is a great tool that will enable access to sales dates, deadlines, and future scheduling. Show customers what will work for them for the entire year, not just next week.
UPDATE! The 70% Solution
- Sell thru report for CNC sites is availble, check the AdOps page from the upper right corner menu of this blog.
- Early month reports tend to show variances caused by incomplete orders set in GateHouse AdOps, these variances will correct with the next week’s edition.
UPDATE! Tablet Reimbursement Policy
As you heard in our Q1 Kick-off meeting, MMSE’s at ENC Media Group and StarNews Media are now eligible for reimbursement with th epurchase of a standard iPad or iPad Pro. Our goal is to support, develop, (and yes even brag about) the most elite sales team in the GateHouse network. Insuring that we all have state-of-the-art tools is just one step towards that goal. Explanation of the policy and the required Reimbursement Form are now on the CNC Sales Folder. Please save this entire folder to your Drive for future reference. Here’s a couple of quick details on this policy.
- This is limited to standard iPad and iPad Pro models only at this time. In “non-technical” jargon, iOS is a very stable, consistent, secure and robust platform that will support all of our efforts. If additional tablet models meet the same requirements we can have those added in to the policy as well, but for now, we are limiting only to these models.
- The Tablet Reimbursement Form should be completed and submitted along with a copy of the receipt for approval. Your manager will submit all approved documents to HR, then it will be submitted as reimbursement through payroll.
- All MMSE’s will be expected to utilize the tablets in the field and as a part of their regular responsibilities. However, the tablet itself is the property of the individual making the purchase…it is yours!
- Several apps will be required for download through the Apple Store, but to my knowledge all are free…(i.e. Google Drive, Gmail and Google calendar if you prefer, etc.)
- Any/all presentations prepared in PowerPoint can be saved in PDF format and can be downloaded onto the units for view. (Limiting transitions, graphics, etc. is best practice for customer view anyway.)
2018 ThriveHive Winter Solutions Academy
Join the Training Team for a series of live webinars to learn individual solutions and ask questions in a virtual classroom. You can attend a single session or all. When you register you’re automatically enrolled in all the sessions. Register for these important updated training sessions @ the ThriveHive training website.
Webinars are scheduled for Thursdays at Noon Eastern / 9 am Pacific starting February 1st and last for about an hour. If you can’t attend one of the live sessions, you can access the On Demand Academy from the Training site.
NEW! Monthly O&O analytics reports are available for all CNC sites (SNM & ENC)
- O&O audience reports for December 2017 now available, here. All monthly reports, each month, are available on the drive, and from the AdOps page of this blog, (upper right hand menu) any time of day or night, on any device. These reports include users, pv’s sessions, demographics, source, etc.
NEW! O&O advertiser campaign reports now available for all CNC sites (SNM & ENC)
- Ad Campaign reports are available for ENC and for Wilmington O&O campaigns from the AdOps page you can find from the upper right corner menu of this blog.
UPDATE! ENC Front Page Note Calendar
Please make sure that all tickets are in the system by December 29th. At that AdOps will transfer orders over to the O&O Calendars that we use on a daily basis. There you will find your reservation and the ticket number. If the note has been ordered it will be highlighted as usual and if your Digital reservation is highlighted that means that we have your SBB/Interscroller copy and it is good to go.
Going forward please check the calendar weekly to see what is coming up for you. We try to send out reminders but just like you sometimes we miss things.
We also have a new extra contact for reservation on the sticky note calendar, O&O calendar , Front page strip calendar Please continue to contact Digital Ad Coordinator Jennifer Fryer, or AdOps Coordinator Tina Gilmore for all reservations on calendars, but you may now also contact Angie Bialas, (firstname.lastname@example.org #8419) for the same.
UPDATED! Digital Reports
- Check the AdOps tab on MOM’s menu for all reports, available 24/7 via any device!
- Monthly O&O Website Audience Reports are available for all CNC. StarNews reports are available here as
Events & Promotion
NEW!-2018 is here and we are already behind!
- Tailgate Giveaway-CANCELLED
- Valentine’s Day Sweepstakes
- Tax Prep Sweepstakes
- College Hoops
- Honeymoon Giveaway
- Home Improvement Sweepstakes
Alissa will be reaching out about prospects for these promotions… get your lists ready! Or reach out to her about anyone you have in mind!
UPDATE! 2018 Honeymoon Giveaway
We are giving away a cruise to a lucky couple! What bridal advertiser wouldn’t want to be a part of that?!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Title Sponsor, 4 Co-Sponsors
- For ENC and Wilmington
- Audience is brides planning their weddings
- Promotion will be displayed at the 2018 Bridal and Special Events Show in January
NEW! 2018 Home Improvement
This may not be a cruise but lucky winners can win brand new products for their home!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Title Sponsor, 4 Co-Sponsors, multiple Basic Packages available!
- Category Exclusivity for sponsors (i.e. only one mattress store, one light store, one painter, et.c)
- Will be shown during the 2018 Home and Garden Shows in New Bern and Jacksonville in March
- For ENC and Wilmington
- Audience is homeowners, renters, people looking for home improvement
Check out today’s Pie Chart of the week for 2018 Home Improvement spending forecast!
2018 College Hoops Challenge
With thousands of people watch March Madness… why not give our advertisers a taste of that audience?!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Slam Dunk Sponsor, 4 3-Pointer Sponsors, multiple Lay-Up Sponsors available!
- Large Audience engaged in promotion – they have a chance to win big ($1 million in cash prizes, PS4 Pro, and Fatheads)
- Advertisers can win big too – National Champion will win a DOUBLE TRUCK!
- Available for all properties of CNC
And that’s only the beginning!
- 2018 Tailgate Giveaway
- 2018 Tax Prep Quizzes and Sweepstakes
- 2018 Valentine’s Day Staycation Giveaway
- Anything you can think of!
- StarNews Media Local Media Workshops, January 17 & 18, 2018
- Bridal & Special Event Expo – January 21st
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 29, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 30, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 31, 2018
- Home and Garden Show, Jacksonville – March 10th & 11th
- Home and Garden Show, New Bern – March 17th & 18th
Pie Chart of the Week
2018 Local Ad Spending-Home Improvement
NOW is the time to be in front of home improvement businesses. Where will thess businesses be spending their ad dollars in 2018? This is one of the stronger business categories for newspaper.
- Direct Mail-8%
- Local TV-6%
ENC Media Group Brochures
We have new ENC Media Group Sales Brochures that are available for all sales personnel. These great new brochures provide an overview of ENC Media Group, print and digital. As we continue to brand ourselves as a regional marketing powerhouse, this will help explain the overall capabilities and reach of our local properties, ENC Media Group, ThriveHive, and GateHouse Media.
StarNews Media brochures and regionally focused Coastal North Carolina Group brochures are currently in the works. Look for them in Q1!