So what has Facebook been up to this week? This is a challenge for all of us to keep up with the latest changes ongoing. All GateHouse newspapers have included tips for consumers on how to make sure their local news source remains in the daily news feed. But what about local businesses? These changes have an impact on all pages that are not generated from what Facebook considers to be “trusted” sources. And in FB language that starts with FB friends.
So what do we do?
- Don’t trust just one source of information regarding changes.
- Keep up on the latest changes going on with Facebook. See this week’s Good to Know for some information.
- Check Google regularly for updates on these changes because they are ongoing.
- Discuss the issues with local businesses, let them know that we are on top of all the ongoing developments. Remember, these changes will impact what local businesses post also. The best social media management experts will be focusing on generating posts that will be “shared” by others. In doing so, friends of those “sharing” the posts will be sending out, and seen as trusted sources to their friends.
- Feel free to inquire how current campaigns are going to be changed (if they will be changed at all) by ThriveHive’s social media team
This is an excellent example of how fast the digital media space changes, and a fantastic opportunity for all of us to show our expertise and local business leadership to aid our customers.
Remember, it’s ok to say “I don’t know” as long as you know who might.
Quote of the week
“The research shows that when we use social media to connect with people we care about, it can be good for our well-being. We can feel more connected and less lonely, and that correlates with long term measures of happiness and health. On the other hand, passively reading articles or watching videos — even if they’re entertaining or informative — may not be as good.”
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
UPDATE! Local Media Workshops-RSVP’s Top Priority
- Wilmington workshops are done, successfully!
- Next step…appointments, sales!
- ENC venues are set
- Social media marketing continues
- Email marketing campaigns continue
- Newsrooms are pitching in with stories about these events
- Handouts/invites are prepared and available to all for distribution
- Attendee lists are here: ENC Media Group
Now it’s up to our sales teams!
- Jan 29, 2018-Kinston, 11:30-1:00, Hampton Inn – Kinston
- Jan 30, 2018-Jacksonville, 8:30-10:00 and 11:30-1:00, Courtyard Suites by Marriott – Jacksonville
- Jan 31, 2018-New Bern, 8:30-10:00 and 11:30-1:00, DoubleTree by Hilton – New Bern
All attendees must register here: http://www.LocalMediaWorkshops.com
Remember, all attendees must register in advance on the page noted above. This same page will be linked to all promotion. The ENCLive website also features news about the events! One sheets and postcards are being prepared.
This is NOT selling attendees, this is simply doing them a favor, by letting them know we are having a seminar. THERE IS NO OBLIGATION TO PURCHASE ANYTHING! These workshops will provide direction, with no obligation from attendees. Let the workshop do the work!
Internal Sales Calendar
- This is an INTERNAL calendar, to be used for scheduling sales activity and planning. Customer facing calendars are being prepared quickly. This is a “live” calendar that is available 24/7, via all devices. This is a great tool that will enable access to sales dates, deadlines, and future scheduling. Show customers what will work for them for the entire year, not just next week.
UPDATE! The 70% Solution
- Sell thru report for CNC sites is available, check the AdOps page from the upper right corner menu of this blog.
- Early month reports tend to show variances caused by incomplete orders set in GateHouse AdOps, these variances will correct with the next week’s edition.
UPDATE! Tablet Reimbursement Policy
- All sales personnel should be on their way to being fully adept at tablet presentations.
- If you want to take advantage of the reimbursment available for all MMSE’s please access the tablet reimbursement form on the drive.
- The Tablet Reimbursement Form should be completed and submitted along with a copy of the receipt for approval. Your manager will submit all approved documents to HR, then it will be submitted as reimbursement through payroll.
- All presentations prepared in PowerPoint can be saved in PDF format and can be downloaded onto the units for view. (Limiting transitions, graphics, etc. is best practice for customer view anyway.)
NEW!-How is Social Management affected by Facebook News Changes
- Check out what Facebook changes will mean for ThriveHive’s social management services, today! This and more on the GateHouse training site!
UPDATE!-January Digital Updates from GateHouse and ThriveHive
This is an extremely important set of updates, there will be a recorded session but everyone is asked to register for one of the sessions below.
- Jan 25, 2018 1:00 PM EST
- Jan 26, 2018 10:00 AM EST
Register on the GateHouse Media Training website
2018 ThriveHive Winter Solutions Academy
Join the Training Team for a series of live webinars to learn individual solutions and ask questions in a virtual classroom. You can attend a single session or all. When you register you’re automatically enrolled in all the sessions. Register for these important updated training sessions @ the ThriveHive training website.
Webinars are scheduled for Thursdays at Noon Eastern / 9 am Pacific starting February 1st and last for about an hour. If you can’t attend one of the live sessions, you can access the On Demand Academy from the Training site.
NEW THIS WEEK!–MOM’s 5MQ
ENC and StarNewsMedia reports are available on the drive
- ENC and SNM Campaign reports
- ENC and SNM Monthly O&O Audience reports
- GateHouse inventory availability (all sites)
- ENCO&O Rich Media Calendars
- ENC Front page sticky note calendars
See the Reports page, from upper right menu of MOM!
Events & Promotion
NEW!-2018 is here and we are already behind!
- Valentine’s Day Sweepstakes
- Tax Prep Sweepstakes
- College Hoops
- Honeymoon Giveaway
- Home Improvement Sweepstakes
- Batter’s Up ENC Baseball Promotion-Wood Ducks Tix
Alissa will be reaching out about prospects for these promotions… get your lists ready! Or reach out to her about anyone you have in mind!
Over $18 Billion is spent for Valentine’s Day! Let’s help our advertisers get a good chunk of that!
Valentine’s Day Promotional Opportunities (all have great valued marketing packages!)
Valentine’s Day Staycation Giveaway
- Who wouldn’t mind a night away without all the travel? This is great for local advertisers looking for an audience that like to go out, have date nights, couples (married or dating), or parents.
- Presenting sponsor gets lead generation as well
- Available for each property
Valentine’s Day Photo Contest
- People love to share photos and see others. Audience is wide ranging – photo entries could be with a spouse, significant other, pet, or kid.
- Lead Generation, Exclusive sponsor
- One available per property
Valentine’s Day Quizzes
- High engagement and fun for the audience
- Great to grow social media awareness
- Good idea to offer a prize to generate leads
- Examples: What TV couple are you? Test your V-Day knowledge.
- Can give a coupon to anyone that does a quiz to increase chance of foot traffic
- Flowers is one of the top items people buy for Valentine’s Day
- Great coverage for a florist to promote during one of the biggest holidays for them
- Lead generation
- Another item highly purchased during the holiday
- Audience to target couples, men/husbands, all income levels, mothers, working individuals
- Great brand awareness and time to promote an item they want focused on during Valentine’s Day
- What Should I Get My Sweetheart? Quiz
- Target a wide audience
- Social media driven – promote sharing on social media
- Increase brand awareness and also promotes items people can purchase at the advertiser’s store
- All options for outcomes can be items from advertiser’s store.
- Can send a coupon to all participants to entice consumers to go to store to purchase the item that was the result of the quiz
Sales collateral: Here
***YOU CAN BUNDLE MULTIPLE PROMOTIONS***
Example: (This would be a great package for a retail jeweler) Quizzes, jewelry giveaway, and Staycation giveaway. They get leads, social media awareness, and opportunity to get more people in the store during the time up to Valentine’s Day
NEW! 2018 Home Improvement
This may not be a cruise but lucky winners can win brand new products for their home!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Title Sponsor, 4 Co-Sponsors, multiple Basic Packages available!
- Category Exclusivity for sponsors (i.e. only one mattress store, one light store, one painter, et.c)
- Will be shown during the 2018 Home and Garden Shows in New Bern and Jacksonville in March
- For ENC and Wilmington
- Audience is homeowners, renters, people looking for home improvement
Check out today’s Pie Chart of the week for 2018 Home Improvement spending forecast!
2018 College Hoops Challenge
With thousands of people watch March Madness… why not give our advertisers a taste of that audience?!
- High Engagement
- Over 17 Million viewers for NCAA Men’s Basketball National Championship
- Participants make a bracket. Can re-enter on 2nd and 3rd round if bracket busts
- Prizes for consumers: PS4 Pro, $1 Million cash prizes, and FatHeads
Advertisers Win too!
- Each advertiser gets paired with a team
- If team makes in each round, they win more advertising
- Round of 16 – Eighth Page Ad
- Round of 8 – Quarter Page Ad
- Semi-Finals – Half Page Ad
- Runner Up – Full Page Ad
- National Champion – Double-Truck Ad
NEW! Ultimate MVP
- Additional sponsorship available
- Advertiser gets a great marketing package AND (2) NCAA Tickets!
- They also get a team on the College Hoops Challenge Bracket
Ways to suggest use of tickets:
- Incentive for their employees
- Run an in-store promotion to give away to a lucky shopper
- We can run a promotion to give them away for them
- Great lead generation
- High engagement
- Increase social media awareness
- They can use the tickets themselves to attend the exciting games in Charlotte, NC
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Slam Dunk Sponsor, 4 3-Pointer Sponsors, multiple Lay-Up Sponsors available!
- Large Audience engaged in promotion – they have a chance to win big ($1 million in cash prizes, PS4 Pro, and Fatheads)
- Advertisers can win big too – National Champion will win a DOUBLE TRUCK!
- Available for all properties of CNC
- All Promotions will have campaigns in Sugar CRM. The titles will go as “CNC 2018…..” Be sure to link any opportunities to those promotions
- When entering an end date for an opportunity, be sure that you use the deadline for the promotion.
- If you have questions, contact Alissa
- StarNews Media Local Media Workshops, January 17 & 18, 2018
- Bridal & Special Event Expo – January 21st
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 29, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 30, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 31, 2018
- Home and Garden Show, Jacksonville – March 10th & 11th
- Home and Garden Show, New Bern – March 17th & 18th
Pie Chart of the Week-Valentine’s Day Approaches
2018 Local Ad Spending-Florists
Where do florists spend their ad budgets? You might think this graph is skewed by national brands, but remember this data comes from LOCAL businesses!
- Local TV-4%
- Other print, Out-of-home-3%
So our local O&O websites provide an excellent opportunity for florists in our market. We can have these campaigns live very quickly!
Here is a larger version of this pie chart, great for a quick presentation!
ENC Media Group Brochures
We have new ENC Media Group Sales Brochures that are available for all sales personnel. These great new brochures provide an overview of ENC Media Group, print and digital. As we continue to brand ourselves as a regional marketing powerhouse, this will help explain the overall capabilities and reach of our local properties, ENC Media Group, ThriveHive, and GateHouse Media.
StarNews Media brochures and regionally focused Coastal North Carolina Group brochures are currently in the works. Look for them in Q1!
Good To Know
- Update-Facebook is making changes to the news feed. Here’s how to insure that news from your favorite news sources remains in your Facebook newsfeed.
- Page speed will become a factor in mobile search ranking. This means that Google will take into account the loading speed of mobile websites when determining page rank on mobile searches. This, combined with Google’s mobile-first indexing places an even brighter spotlight on the importance of mobile sites. Check it our on SearchEngineLand.
- Should local businesses be ASKING for reviews? Customer reviews and ratings are a very important part of local search ranking. Too many times, local businesses try to improve their position on SERP’s but have little to no consumer feedback to show. Just how do local businesses obtain reviews? Check it out here on StreetFightMag.
- Pixels now required for effective Facebook “traffic” campaigns. Facebook advertising campaigns designed to generate clicks to an advertiser’s website (called TRAFFIC campaigns) now require a pixel to be placed on the landing page. And if the campaign is to generate clicks to the advertiser’s website, that website is the landing page. The pixels allow ThriveHive to much more effectively target and reach the right campaign. This is something that every digital expert needs to know, and something that local businesses likely cannot know. Check it our here, directly from ThriveHive.
5MQ (Five Minute Quiz)
Deadline: Tuesday @ 5:00 PM. Here is MOM’s Five Minute Quiz for today. Just offer your best answers, and we will review the results on the Wednesday Webinar.