With our Workshops in full swing, here are 10 reasons “why” local businesses need more than sales. Our local business communities are looking for answers, expert advice on how to better manage the marketing end of their business.
- There were 17 Google updates to its search algorithms in 2017. Do local businesses know how they affect their search results?
- There were 14 updates to Facebook news feeds in 2017. Do local businesses know how these affect their presence on Facebook?
- 70% of local SMB’s consider themselves a novice or apprentice when it comes to managing their own marketing.* If they are novices at marketing, in their own words, how are they going to make expert decisions that will work?
- And yet, 65% of businesses surveyed in our markets state that they are going to increase their online spending in 2018. * We are not alone, everyone is a digital marketing seller these days. But not everyone has the expertise to do a good job at it.
- Local SMB’s spend more than 9 hours each week on their marketing* That is one entire work day devoted to marketing!
- On average business posts on Facebook reach less than 10% of the people who have “liked” them*** Too many businesses are still focused on “Likes” without being able to reach those same people with subsequent messaging.
- Facebook news feeds are starting subordinating business posts in favor of posts that “friends” share.** Yes, this will impact newspaper.com posts. But it also impacts ALL posts from businesses!
- When tracking advertising success, businesses in our markets rely more on what customers tell them, than on hard transactional (sales) data, and they rely more on what they see and hear with their own eyes and ears than they do on hard metrics and analytics from their media partners.* We can help local businesses see the hard data behind strong marketing campaigns, enabling the right decisions.
- More than 10% of local businesses in our markets that were surveyed, do not track their advertising results to determine success!* This is a group that needs help most of all.
- 80% of local businesses in our markets do not outsource their email marketing.* Are local businesses able to maintain a strong database of potential customers?
***Adgorithmics Inc, 2017
Quote of the week
“To live in the past is to die in the present.”
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
UPDATE! Local Media Workshops-RSVP’s Top Priority
- Wilmington workshops are done, successfully!
- Next step…appointments, sales!
- ENC venues are set
- Social media marketing continues
- Email marketing campaigns continue
- Newsrooms are pitching in with stories about these events
- Handouts/invites are prepared and available to all for distribution
- Attendee lists are here: ENC Media Group
Now it’s up to our sales teams!
- Jan 29, 2018-Kinston, 11:30-1:00, Hampton Inn – Kinston
- Jan 30, 2018-Jacksonville, 8:30-10:00 and 11:30-1:00, Courtyard Suites by Marriott – Jacksonville
- Jan 31, 2018-New Bern, 8:30-10:00 and 11:30-1:00, DoubleTree by Hilton – New Bern
All attendees must register here: http://www.LocalMediaWorkshops.com
Remember, all attendees must register in advance on the page noted above. This same page will be linked to all promotion. The ENCLive website also features news about the events! One sheets and postcards are being prepared.
This is NOT selling attendees, this is simply doing them a favor, by letting them know we are having a seminar. THERE IS NO OBLIGATION TO PURCHASE ANYTHING! These workshops will provide direction, with no obligation from attendees. Let the workshop do the work!
Internal Sales Calendar
- This is an INTERNAL calendar, to be used for scheduling sales activity and planning. Customer facing calendars are being prepared quickly. This is a “live” calendar that is available 24/7, via all devices. This is a great tool that will enable access to sales dates, deadlines, and future scheduling. Show customers what will work for them for the entire year, not just next week.
UPDATE! The 70% Solution
- Sell thru report for CNC sites is available, check the AdOps page from the upper right corner menu of this blog.
- Early month reports tend to show variances caused by incomplete orders set in GateHouse AdOps, these variances will correct with the next week’s edition.
UPDATE! Tablet Reimbursement Policy
Get ready to make your presentations using your iPad. During the months of February and March we will provide tips, and ideas to help you deliver professional looking recommendations to clients. Are you using your tablet daily?
- All sales personnel should be on their way to being fully adept at tablet presentations.
- If you want to take advantage of the reimbursement available for all MMSE’s please access the tablet reimbursement form on the drive.
- The Tablet Reimbursement Form should be completed and submitted along with a copy of the receipt for approval. Your manager will submit all approved documents to HR, then it will be submitted as reimbursement through payroll.
- All presentations prepared in PowerPoint can be saved in PDF format and can be downloaded onto the units for view. (Limiting transitions, graphics, etc. is best practice for customer view anyway.)
UPDATE!-Changes to the Partner Portal
- Look for new login credentials emailed to you today
- The process for communicating thru the Portal is changing
- Please also note, Portal communications may not be conducted via email. All communication will require Portal login’s.
NEW!-January Digital Updates from GateHouse and ThriveHive
The recorded webinar and deck is available on the TH training site. Please revisit, there are very important changes announced.
UPDATE!-How is Social Management affected by Facebook News Changes
- Check out what Facebook changes will mean for ThriveHive’s social management services, today! This and more on the GateHouse training site!
UPDATE!–2018 ThriveHive Winter Solutions Academy
Join the Training Team for a series of live webinars to learn individual solutions and ask questions in a virtual classroom. You can attend a single session or all. When you register you’re automatically enrolled in all the sessions. Register for these important updated training sessions @ the ThriveHive training website.
Webinars are scheduled for Thursdays at Noon Eastern / 9 am Pacific starting February 1st and last for about an hour. If you can’t attend one of the live sessions, you can access the On Demand Academy from the Training site.
NEW THIS WEEK!–MOM’s 5MQ
ENC and StarNewsMedia reports are available on the drive
- ENC and SNM Campaign reports
- ENC and SNM Monthly O&O Audience reports
- GateHouse inventory availability (all sites)
- ENCO&O Rich Media Calendars
- ENC Front page sticky note calendars
See the Reports page, from upper right menu of MOM!
Events & Promotion
NEW!-2018 is here and we are already behind!
- Valentine’s Day Sweepstakes
- Tax Prep Sweepstakes
- College Hoops
- Honeymoon Giveaway
- Home Improvement Sweepstakes
- Batter’s Up ENC Power Hitter Promotion-Wood Ducks Tix
Alissa will be reaching out about prospects for these promotions… get your lists ready! Or reach out to her about anyone you have in mind!
Over $18 Billion is spent for Valentine’s Day! Let’s help our advertisers get a good chunk of that!
Valentine’s Day Promotional Opportunities (all have great valued marketing packages!)
Valentine’s Day Staycation Giveaway
- Who wouldn’t mind a night away without all the travel? This is great for local advertisers looking for an audience that like to go out, have date nights, couples (married or dating), or parents.
- Presenting sponsor gets lead generation as well
- Available for each property
Valentine’s Day Photo Contest
- People love to share photos and see others. Audience is wide ranging – photo entries could be with a spouse, significant other, pet, or kid.
- Lead Generation, Exclusive sponsor
- One available per property
Valentine’s Day Quizzes
- High engagement and fun for the audience
- Great to grow social media awareness
- Good idea to offer a prize to generate leads
- Examples: What TV couple are you? Test your V-Day knowledge.
- Can give a coupon to anyone that does a quiz to increase chance of foot traffic
- Flowers is one of the top items people buy for Valentine’s Day
- Great coverage for a florist to promote during one of the biggest holidays for them
- Lead generation
- Another item highly purchased during the holiday
- Audience to target couples, men/husbands, all income levels, mothers, working individuals
- Great brand awareness and time to promote an item they want focused on during Valentine’s Day
- What Should I Get My Sweetheart? Quiz
- Target a wide audience
- Social media driven – promote sharing on social media
- Increase brand awareness and also promotes items people can purchase at the advertiser’s store
- All options for outcomes can be items from advertiser’s store.
- Can send a coupon to all participants to entice consumers to go to store to purchase the item that was the result of the quiz
Sales collateral: Here
***YOU CAN BUNDLE MULTIPLE PROMOTIONS***
Example: (This would be a great package for a retail jeweler) Quizzes, jewelry giveaway, and Staycation giveaway. They get leads, social media awareness, and opportunity to get more people in the store during the time up to Valentine’s Day
NEW! 2018 Home Improvement
This may not be a cruise but lucky winners can win brand new products for their home!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Title Sponsor, 4 Co-Sponsors, multiple Basic Packages available!
- Category Exclusivity for sponsors (i.e. only one mattress store, one light store, one painter, et.c)
- Will be shown during the 2018 Home and Garden Shows in New Bern and Jacksonville in March
- For ENC and Wilmington
- Audience is homeowners, renters, people looking for home improvement
Check out today’s Pie Chart of the week for 2018 Home Improvement spending forecast!
UPDATE-This Is Big! 2018 College Hoops Challenge
With thousands of people watch March Madness… why not give our advertisers a taste of that audience?!
- High Engagement
- Over 17 Million viewers for NCAA Men’s Basketball National Championship
- Participants make a bracket. Can re-enter on 2nd and 3rd round if bracket busts
- Prizes for consumers: PS4 Pro, $1 Million cash prizes, and FatHeads
Advertisers Win too!
- Each advertiser gets paired with a team
- If team makes in each round, they win more advertising
- Round of 16 – Eighth Page Ad
- Round of 8 – Quarter Page Ad
- Semi-Finals – Half Page Ad
- Runner Up – Full Page Ad
- National Champion – Double-Truck Ad
NEW! Advertisers will also have the chance to win great Tournament Tix!
- Advertisers get chances based on their promotion purchase
- These prizes are worth $1000’s! Every business in our region will want to know more!
Ways to suggest use of tickets:
- Incentive for their employees
- Run an in-store promotion to give away to a lucky shopper
- We can run a promotion to give them away for them
- Great lead generation
- High engagement
- Increase social media awareness
- They can use the tickets themselves to attend the exciting games in Charlotte, NC
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Slam Dunk Sponsor, 4 3-Pointer Sponsors, multiple Lay-Up Sponsors available!
- Large Audience engaged in promotion – they have a chance to win big ($1 million in cash prizes, PS4 Pro, and Fatheads)
- Advertisers can win big too – National Champion will win a DOUBLE TRUCK!
- Available for all properties of CNC
NEW-Power Hitter Promotions for Wood Ducks Tix
Series of baseball related promotions, different promotion monthly but one sponsor can take it all!
Reader engagement promotions…
- April: Which stadium food are you?
- May: Super Fan Photo Contest
- June: Father’s Day Giveaway
- July: Photo Contest (TBD)
- August: Can we guess what baseball fan you are?
Information coming out soon, but don’t hesitate to contact Alissa right away to start discussing your prospects!
Tracking our progress…
- All Promotions will have campaigns in Sugar CRM. The titles will go as “CNC 2018…..” Be sure to link any opportunities to those promotions
- When entering an end date for an opportunity, be sure that you use the deadline for the promotion.
- If you have questions, contact Alissa
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 29, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 30, 2018
- ENC Local Media Workshops, January 31, 2018
- Home and Garden Show, Jacksonville – March 10th & 11th
- Home and Garden Show, New Bern – March 17th & 18th
Borrell Research: Who Handles Your Digital Marketing Services
This pie chart is a riot! Everyone has a piece of the pie. This is a national survey from Borrell’s Local Market Surveys. Here are the leaders…
- CDK Global-2%
And you will also notice that even wives, sons-in-law, and relatives scored on this survey. Here’s the point. Marketing Services is our growth area, virtually every SMB utilizes services. The competitive field is brutal. The only way to compete is to be knowledgeable, and in front of our local customers, and do this often!
Here is a larger version of this pie chart, great for a quick presentation!
ENC Media Group Brochures
We have new ENC Media Group Sales Brochures that are available for all sales personnel. These great new brochures provide an overview of ENC Media Group, print and digital. As we continue to brand ourselves as a regional marketing powerhouse, this will help explain the overall capabilities and reach of our local properties, ENC Media Group, ThriveHive, and GateHouse Media.
StarNews Media brochures and regionally focused Coastal North Carolina Group brochures are currently in the works. Look for them in Q1!
Good To Know
- GateHouse Media purchases the Eugene, OR Register Guard. GateHouse continues to grow and show strength. The Register Guard is a very strong title, located in a very cool town, home of the University of Oregon just a little more than 100 miles south of Portland. Check out the story here.
- ThriveHive gets serious about “very” small businesses. Check out this feature on Perry Evans, ThriveHive SVP of Product Strategy and Corporate Development. Perry was an early pioneer with MapQuest and is leading a ThriveHive product and engineering hub in Denver, CO.
- Facebook no longer allowing age or gender targeting for Real Estate or Employment campaigns. Facebook is stepping up the enforcement of its prohibition against discrimination in advertising for housing and employment. (Housing and employment are two areas in which federal law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.) No link to this one, check the TH Training website for this, IMPORTANT!
5MQ (Five Minute Quiz)
Deadline: Tuesday 1/30/18 @ 5:00 PM. Here is MOM’s Five Minute Quiz for today. This week’s 5MQ is all about the January GH/TH roll out. Just offer your best answers, and we will review the results on the Wednesday Webinar.