Everyone knows that there are more dollars spent in online channels than in traditional (print or broadcast) channels in local markets. That is a given, that divide was crossed a while back. But did you know that several individual components, comprising online spend, by themselves also surpass anticipated print spending in our markets?
The four areas of online spend that comprise the largest percentage of overall online spending forecast in our markets…General Search, Targeted Display, Online Video, and Listings Search, all individually exceed anticipated print spending by local businesses in our local areas. This detail, from the Borrell Compass report based on the 2017 Local SMB Survey, puts a “face” on where dollars are going. When we say “Online” or “Digital” spending, it tends to suggest that the local marketing focus is all campaign based. And while best practice does suggest that we focus on campaigns for our clients, we still tend to talk of individual components in many of our sales discussion.
What does this really mean to me?
As a sales team entering and leaving an office with a newspaper masthead bolted to the front of the building, or a sign in front of our offices, we tend to continue to associate our existence with that masthead. Our customers may do that association for us. However, that masthead really represents a small piece of the products and campaigns we are proposing to local businesses. Would we think of ourselves differently if we considered ourselves to be a Search Engine Marketing Company? Or how about a Targeted Display company? Yes the competition is steep, but there is a higher demand for either of those components than for newspapers in our markets when it comes to advertising.
All this is not to denigrate newspapers. They are a strong piece of the overall marketing mix and they need to be represented accordingly when discussing marketing solutions. It’s just that we might be just as well served “leading” with SEM when it fits a customer…or leading with Targeted Display when the needs assessment calls for targeting solutions. We don’t have start with a newspaper discussion in all instances. That is not what will define us. Rather, our ability to identify that SEM might be a stronger discussion, or that Online Video might be where we start describing our expertise, that should set us apart. Most broadcast sales teams still start with their legacy media when beginning the discussion. We don’t have to. Leading with digital is what 2018 should be about.
Quote of the week
“You must keep your mind on the objective, not on the obstacle.”
William Randolph Hearst
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
UPDATE! Local Media Workshops-RSVP’s Top Priority
- Wilmington & ENC workshops are done, successfully!
- Attendance was the best ever for ENC workshops and Wilmington attendance was in the hundred’s!
- Now it’s up to our sales teams!
UPDATE! Internal Sales Calendar
- This is an INTERNAL calendar, to be used for scheduling sales activity and planning. Customer facing calendars are being prepared quickly.
UPDATE! O&O Sell-thru…70% Goal
- Sell thru report for CNC sites is available, check the AdOps page from the upper right corner menu of this blog.
UPDATE! Tablet Reimbursement Policy
Be ready to present in March!
Get ready to make your presentations using your iPad. During the months of February and March we will provide tips, and ideas to help you deliver professional looking recommendations to clients. Are you using your tablet daily?
If you want to make use of the reimbursmenet, the Tablet Reimbursement Form should be completed and submitted along with a copy of the receipt for approval. Your manager will submit all approved documents to HR, then it will be submitted as reimbursement through payroll.
UPDATE!-January Digital Updates from GateHouse and ThriveHive, recorded
The recorded webinar and deck is available on the TH training site. Please revisit, there are very important changes announced.
- IMPORTANT-New OnTarget pricing levels
- IMPORTANT-New Partner Portal access
- New SEO support from ThriveHive
- SEM Updates
- Targeted display, best practices
- IMPORTANT-AdMall updates
- New Real Estate marketing packages
- New Customizable spec Ads
UPDATE!-How is Social Management affected by Facebook News Changes
- Check out what Facebook changes will mean for ThriveHive’s social management services, today! This and more on the GateHouse training site!
UPDATE!–2018 ThriveHive Winter Solutions Academy
Join the Training Team for a series of live webinars to learn individual solutions and ask questions in a virtual classroom. You can attend a single session or all. When you register you’re automatically enrolled in all the sessions. Register for these important updated training sessions @ the ThriveHive training website.
Webinars are scheduled for Thursdays at Noon Eastern / 9 am Pacific starting February 1st and last for about an hour. If you can’t attend one of the live sessions, you can access the On Demand Academy from the Training site.
NEW THIS WEEK!–MOM’s 5MQ
Events & Promotion
- Tax Prep Sweepstakes
- College Hoops
- Honeymoon Giveaway
- Home Improvement Sweepstakes
- Batter’s Up ENC Power Hitter Promotion-Wood Ducks Tix
Alissa will be reaching out about prospects for these promotions… get your lists ready! Or reach out to her about anyone you have in mind!
NEW! 2018 Home Improvement
This may not be a cruise but lucky winners can win brand new products for their home!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Title Sponsor, 4 Co-Sponsors, multiple Basic Packages available!
- Category Exclusivity for sponsors (i.e. only one mattress store, one light store, one painter, et.c)
- Will be shown during the 2018 Home and Garden Shows in New Bern and Jacksonville in March
- For ENC and Wilmington
- Audience is homeowners, renters, people looking for home improvement
Check out today’s Pie Chart of the week for 2018 Home Improvement spending forecast!
UPDATE-This Is Big! 2018 College Hoops Challenge
With thousands of people watch March Madness… why not give our advertisers a taste of that audience?!
- High Engagement
- Over 17 Million viewers for NCAA Men’s Basketball National Championship
- Participants make a bracket. Can re-enter on 2nd and 3rd round if bracket busts
- Prizes for consumers: PS4 Pro, $1 Million cash prizes, and FatHeads
Advertisers Win too!
- Each advertiser gets paired with a team
- If team makes in each round, they win more advertising
- Round of 16 – Eighth Page Ad
- Round of 8 – Quarter Page Ad
- Semi-Finals – Half Page Ad
- Runner Up – Full Page Ad
- National Champion – Double-Truck Ad
NEW! Advertisers will also have the chance to win great Tournament Tix!
- Advertisers get chances based on their promotion purchase
- These prizes are worth $1000’s! Every business in our region will want to know more!
Ways to suggest use of tickets:
- Incentive for their employees
- Run an in-store promotion to give away to a lucky shopper
- We can run a promotion to give them away for them
- Great lead generation
- High engagement
- Increase social media awareness
- They can use the tickets themselves to attend the exciting games in Charlotte, NC
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Slam Dunk Sponsor, 4 3-Pointer Sponsors, multiple Lay-Up Sponsors available!
- Large Audience engaged in promotion – they have a chance to win big ($1 million in cash prizes, PS4 Pro, and Fatheads)
- Advertisers can win big too – National Champion will win a DOUBLE TRUCK!
- Available for all properties of CNC
NEW-Power Hitter Promotions for Wood Ducks Tix
Series of baseball related promotions, different promotion monthly but one sponsor can take it all!
Reader engagement promotions…
- April: Which stadium food are you?
- May: Super Fan Photo Contest
- June: Father’s Day Giveaway
- July: Photo Contest (TBD)
- August: Can we guess what baseball fan you are?
Information coming out soon, but don’t hesitate to contact Alissa right away to start discussing your prospects!
Tracking our progress…
- All Promotions will have campaigns in Sugar CRM. The titles will go as “CNC 2018…..” Be sure to link any opportunities to those promotions
- When entering an end date for an opportunity, be sure that you use the deadline for the promotion.
- If you have questions, contact Alissa
- Home and Garden Show, Jacksonville – March 10th & 11th
- Home and Garden Show, New Bern – March 17th & 18th
ENC and StarNewsMedia reports are available on the drive
- ENC and SNM Campaign reports
- ENC and SNM Monthly O&O Audience reports
- GateHouse inventory availability (all sites)
- ENCO&O Rich Media Calendars
- ENC Front page sticky note calendars
See the Reports page, from upper right menu of MOM!
Borrell Research: Online Spending Forecast by Channel-2018
- TARGETED DISPLAY-26%
- LISTINGS SEARCH-18%
- ONLINE VIDEO-17%
This emphasizes the importance of the new spending levles available with OnTarget, more flexible, more affordable.
Also this raises the importance that the new Online Video product can play in our discussions with clients. The new product includes complete video production, something local businesses have been asking about often.
Here is a larger version of this pie chart, great for a quick presentation!
ENC Media Group Brochures
We have new ENC Media Group Sales Brochures that are available for all sales personnel. These great new brochures provide an overview of ENC Media Group, print and digital. As we continue to brand ourselves as a regional marketing powerhouse, this will help explain the overall capabilities and reach of our local properties, ENC Media Group, ThriveHive, and GateHouse Media.
StarNews Media brochures and regionally focused Coastal North Carolina Group brochures are currently in the works. Look for them in Q1!
Good To Know
- ThriveHive’s Guided Marketing Platform is a key to succeeding with SMB’s. Adam Blake, ThriveHive’s SVP of Marketing and Steve Gottlieb, senior director of demand generation, talk about the evolution of ThriveHive’s marketing tools. Check it out here.
- Winning tips for using Social Media. Tony Robbins (yes that Tony Robbins) offers some very good advice on how SMB’s can and should be using Social Media. Hint…this is all a repeat of what you’ve heard elsewhere, but hearing it from a different direction just serves to emphasize the recommendations. More from Tony Robbins here.
- GoDaddy purchases Main Street Hub. Why is this important? GoDaddy is mentioned more often than any other provider by SMB’s as their provider of digital marketing services. Now GoDaddy will utilize Main Street Hub to strengthen their suite of services. Don’t be surprised to hear local businesses discussing GoDaddy for more than merely websites. Check it out here.
5MQ (Five Minute Quiz)
Deadline: Tuesday 2/6/18 @ 5:00 PM. Here is MOM’s Five Minute Quiz for today. Just offer your best answers, and we will review the results on the Wednesday Webinar.