Training…training…training…that is just about all we seem to be talking about. Is it really all that necessary? If you look at how much the newspaper (ahem…mutlimedia) world has changed, and how consumers have changed their habits, the answer is yes.
This week’s edition of MOM is chocked full of new and updated training information, dates, and plans. All of these are needed. But all of them are aimed at one thing only…improving our ability to deliver great solutions to our local customers.
Of course our “products” have changed and some of our training is to keep us up to speed with new product attributes. But more important, is the ability to better communicate the value of new products and services, and the ability to deliver the same.
Check out the training section of today’s MondayOnlineMemo. Make your plans to climb on board. Every one of us will need to focus on improving our knowledge. But we are expected to NOT just because the training department wants to stay busy. We are expected to because local businesses in our markets need new and improved ways to find customers, keep customers, and communicate with those new customers. And we need to know more about reaching and communicating with local businesses.
See you in class!
Quote(s) of the week
“Learn as if you were not reaching your goal and as though you were scared of missing it”
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu in the upper right, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go, but you should be able to find links, names, and phone numbers that you need on a regular basis. Depend on MOM as your in-house directory.Your MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates? Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
NEW-Save the Date
CNC Q2 Kick off set for March 8, 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM, at the Jacksonville/Onslow Chamber of Commerce. See you on Thursday!
UPDATE! Sales Priorities…
- My Mags
- Port City Life
- Travel the Carolinas
- Parade of Homes (Wilmington) coming soon
- ThriveHive OnTarget new service levels!
UPDATE!-iPad Sales Presentation Training Coming to an Office Near You!
Over the next few weeks, you will be able to practice with your iPad giving your own presentations in 1 on 1’s and with a group. To kick this off, we will have quick sessions to review what an iPad presentation should include, how to give it, and how to upload. If you already know all of this information, great, you can help those that may be less familiar. It’s ok if you don’t know already, because you soon will! Look for dates on this soon!
UPDATE! Internal Sales Calendar
- This is an INTERNAL calendar, to be used for scheduling sales activity and planning. Customer facing calendars are being prepared quickly.
UPDATE! O&O Sell-thru…70% Goal
- Sell thru report for CNC sites is available, check the AdOps page from the upper right corner menu of this blog.
NEW!-Introducing JUMPSTART, new sales training for current MMSE’s!
This 6-day program creates an in-depth look at your existing book of business, challenges new techniques, and an overall “jumpstart” from your current position to improve performance (for you and the client.)
This new sales training for MMSE’s covers Consultative Selling, New Consumer Journey, Prospecting, Cold Calling, Effective CNA’s, Building Powerful Presentations, Delivering/Closing, Basics of Digital Solutions
JUMPSTART will be held each month:
- March 23rd – 30th
- April 20 – 27th
- May 18 – 25th
You can register for the March session here: https://goo.gl/forms/fOYYyoQ5Dxp4Ccq93. But don’t wait, March Registration will close on MARCH 12th by EOD, and all classes will be capped at 40 participants.
Your time commitment for this great new training program are as follows:
- 1 hour, daily, LMS Learning (self-paced)
- Daily assignments/activities to reinforce application of self paced content
- 4 live Zoom calls with Cody Flowers (Friday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday)
- Pre- and post- manager call required (review expectations and manager track)
- 30 minute manager-led coaching, daily
All existing ENC and SNM MMSE’s will be expected to enroll in this, so don’t wait. (New hires need not enroll in JUMPSTART, there is a separate training program just for you.)
NEW!-March Digital Updates from GateHouse and ThriveHive, register today!
The March roll outs will take place on Thursday March 22nd 1-2pm EST and Friday March 23rd 10-11am EST. Make sure you make your reservation today, on the ThriveHive training website.
UPDATE!February Digital Updates from GateHouse and ThriveHive, recorded
The monthly GateHouse/ThriveHive Digital Rollout webinar will take place later this week. If you have not registered yet do so TODAY! Two dates to choose from…
- Thursday, February 22nd from 1pm-2pm EST
- Friday, February 23rd from 10am-11am EST
Register today on the TH training website
NEW! Google Infographic, Travel
- Price is the most important aspect that consumers think about when shopping for travel destinations.
- Most people DON’T KNOW where they really want to go when they start searching for travel destinations.Consumer Tech shoppers consult over 11 sources for information before buying.
- 61% percent of travelers use the internet for leisure trip inspiration
Google Infographics are available on the ThriveHive Training website.
These graphics are great to add to any presentation that fits the category. Clients love the information, and this is a great way to give all presentations a professional look.
UPDATE!–OnTarget, Lower Minimum Entry, New Service Levels
OnTarget is now available for as little as $100 a month. Of course this means a lower number of impressions, but a smaller targeted campaign may be just what a local business needs for a short period of time. Service levels available with various levels are different so you will want to pay close attention to what is included with each level.
We have extracted the OnTarget training from the January roll out and uploaded to the drive. Save this short OnTarget presentation to your version of My Drive and keep it handy, print it out for reference. Every one of our clients can likely use a good targeted campaign. This is a great opportunity to flex more of our digital muscles for our local businesses.
Events & Promotion
- College Hoops
- Batter’s Up ENC Power Hitter Promotion-Wood Ducks Tix
Design your own…just ask!
Basics about this promo:
- 1 Title Sponsor, 4 Co-Sponsors, multiple Basic Packages available!
- Category Exclusivity for sponsors (i.e. only one mattress store, one light store, one painter, et.c)
- Will be shown during the 2018 Home and Garden Shows in New Bern and Jacksonville in March
- For ENC and Wilmington
- Audience is homeowners, renters, people looking for home improvement
UPDATE-This Is Big! 2018 College Hoops Challenge
With thousands of people watch March Madness… why not give our advertisers a taste of that audience?!
Advertisers will also have the chance to win great Tournament Tix!
- Advertisers get chances based on their promotion purchase
- These prizes are worth $1000’s! Every business in our region will want to know more!
Ways to suggest use of tickets:
- Incentive for their employees
- Run an in-store promotion to give away to a lucky shopper
- We can run a promotion to give them away for them
- Great lead generation
- High engagement
- Increase social media awareness
- They can use the tickets themselves to attend the exciting games in Charlotte, NC
NEW-Power Hitter Sweepstakes for Wood Ducks Tix
Series of baseball related promotions, different promotion monthly but one sponsor can take it all!
Reader engagement promotions…
- April: Which stadium food are you?
- May: Super Fan Photo Contest
- June: Father’s Day Giveaway
- July: Photo Contest (TBD)
- August: Can we guess what baseball fan you are?
Information coming out soon, but don’t hesitate to contact me right away to start discussing your prospects!
Tracking our progress…
- All Promotions will have campaigns in Sugar CRM. The titles will go as “CNC 2018…..” Be sure to link any opportunities to those promotions
- When entering an end date for an opportunity, be sure that you use the deadline for the promotion.
- If you have questions, contact Alissa
- Home and Garden Show, Jacksonville – March 10th & 11th
- Home and Garden Show, New Bern – March 17th & 18th
ENC and StarNewsMedia reports are available on the drive
- ENC and SNM Campaign reports
- ENC and SNM Monthly O&O Audience reports
- GateHouse inventory availability (all sites)
- ENCO&O Rich Media Calendars
- ENC Front page sticky note calendars
See the Reports page, from upper right menu of MOM!
Borrell Research: Non-Ad Spending From INSIDE The Market, 2018
There are more dollars spent in “non” advertising than in advertising
- PROMOTIONS make up 70% of this spending
- This emphasizes the importance of the promotions to our local businesses, and to us.
- Promotions fuel our digital revenue and your own digital sales.
- Promotions fuel our ThriveHive sales
Call today if you need any help to develop a local promotion for your clients.
Here is a larger version of this pie chart, great for a quick presentation!
ENC Media Group Brochures
We have new ENC Media Group Sales Brochures that are available for all sales personnel. These great new brochures provide an overview of ENC Media Group, print and digital. As we continue to brand ourselves as a regional marketing powerhouse, this will help explain the overall capabilities and reach of our local properties, ENC Media Group, ThriveHive, and GateHouse Media.
StarNews Media brochures and regionally focused Coastal North Carolina Group brochures are currently in the works. Look for them in Q1!
Good To Know
- SMB’s are faced with confusing decisions to make when deciding on their digital services. That is a considerable understatement. This is laid out in vivid form in StreetFightMag.com. The space has changed much over the past few years, but what has not changed is that there are many players (our competitors.) Which is why it is so important for us to know our stuff…and to be able to explain it in a simple and confident nature. Want to see what local businesses see when they have to make these decisions? Check it out here.
- Voice search…are local businesses ready? Ask Google, Siri, or Alexa a question about where to find the best cup of coffee. What do you think the answer will be? For now, you might not get a clear answer for a local business. But because voice search is becoming so prevalent, and voice search while you are driving in your car occurs so often, we will soon start “expecting” answers. What will this mean to local businesses? For now, SMB’s may not be prepared. What will they need to do? Read more about this on StreetFightMag.
- Is my website optimized for voice search? And here is a little more on voice search. Today, there are 26 million homes with smart speakers. That number will jump by almost 50% in 2019. With so many voice searches occurring, are SMB websites optimized for the best results? Don’t worry, nobody expects any of us to be experts on this. But we can be prepared to discuss that it’s an important issue for local businesses. Here’s more on the subject from SearchEngineLand to keep you up to date on the subject.
5MQ (Five Minute Quiz)
Deadline: Tuesday 2/20/18 @ 5:00 PM. Here is MOM’s Five Minute Quiz for today. Just offer your best answers, and we will review the results on the Wednesday Webinar.