Q: How do you beat Facebook and Google at their own game?
A: You don’t! Stop playing their game.
Poor Facebook, their stock dropped about 20% last week. And CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s net worth dropped by more than $5 billion. Funny thing though, SMB’s across the country have more confidence in Facebook, and will be using it more than ever in 2018. (Check out today’s Pie Chart of the Week.) And Google continues to offer new services for local business. As they change their advertising branding from AdWords to Google Ads, they are now automating some of the advertising options for SMB’s like targeting and images, all aimed at increasing local business usage. (Check out today’s Good To Know, below.)
We can’t control these things. We can only be good, make that great, at what we do. And while FB and Google are two of the things we want to be great at, our services and capabilities continue to expand well beyond both. In fact, our menu of services is beginning to look downright “agency-like.” Take a look at the chart below, showing the breadth of marketing services offered by local media companies, (from a survey of Local Media Association members.)
I’m not sure it’s fair to really call ourselves an “agency.” But the ability to be agnostic when it comes to creating and delivering a marketing solution is a strong attribute. And it allows us to position ourselves in a way where we are not really competing with Facebook and Google. That’s the beauty of our ever-growing menu of services. We don’t have to rely on advertising alone. A number of local media sites generate more than half their digital revenue from services. They are choosing an alternative route to advertising alone, providing more holistic solutions to local businesses.
There’s no big moral to the story this week, no big “AHA” moment. As the Coastal North Carolina sales team closes out this round of Best of the Best sales, it’s the perfect time to devote attention to local businesses and their full marketing needs. Services should be considered in many recommendations. No, we shouldn’t be in competition with Facebook and Google. We are using them for broader and deeper marketing solutions, going beyond advertising needs to help local businesses. And that is something we CAN control.
Quote of the week
“They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they’d make up their minds.”
— Winston Churchill
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu navigation up top, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go. MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
UPDATE-GateHouse Presentation Templates
All presentations to follow the GH template, immediately please.
- Please note that these have been introduced and are available on the GateHouse Media Portal. Effective immediately, all ENC and SNM presentations should follow the GH template, both design and content flow. These are designed to follow the Sales Transformation steps and touch points, following the format will help guide us along the way. Please access these templates regularly. (Caution-if you download to your hard drive, be prepared to access again for any changes and/or updates that may occur from GH.)
NEW-Campaign reports continually updated, on the drive
- Don’t forget to access the campaign reports on the drive, for our customers. These will be updated when received. Don’t expect to hear of an update, just access them and you’ll have the latest and greatest to share with clients. For ease of access, check the REPORTS page of MOM.
UPDATE!-Best of the Best
- Vote for Me status
ENC and StarNewsMedia reports are on MOM!
See the Reports page, from upper right menu of MOM!
- ENC and SNM Campaign reports
- ENC and SNM Monthly O&O Audience reports
- GateHouse inventory availability (all sites)
- ENCO&O Rich Media Calendars
- ENC Front page sticky note calendars
UPDATE-Google Digital Sales Certification
Everyone is required to renew, or pass for the first time, the Google Digital Sales Certification. Here’s our tracker for this certification…
- When you have passed, send me your certificate.
- Congratulations to Cassie Groff, Kinston, for passing the certification on July 9!
NEW-July 2018 Digital Webinars from GateHouse and ThriveHive
- The August Digital Updates from GH and TH will take place on Thursday, August 23rd at 1pm EST and Friday August 24th at 10am EST. Register for one of these sessions on the ThriveHive training website.
Pie Chart of the Week-Local SMB’s Spending More with Facebook.
From Borrell Associates’ 2018 Local Advertising Survey, comes more news about the love affair between local business and Facebook. In spite of all the negative news surrounding FB, local businesses will be relying on it more than ever in 2017.
- 70% of local SMB’s surveyed consider FB as, or more effective than last year.
- 78% of local businesses surveyed will participate with Facebook in 2018.
Good To Know
(Impress your friends, your clients, and your MOM…you may not know it all but you are trying.)
- Google makes things even easier for SMB’s. Google has rolled out its first solution under the Google Ads brand, and it’s directed at SMB’s. This is a fully automated solution for creative, targeting with goals of phone calls, website visits and requests for directions. I strongly urge reading this, it’s directed at our customers. Check it out on SearchEngineLand.
- Local publishers looking more like agencies for growth. Local media properties are selling a broad spectrum of services to help SMB’s. It’s not just advertising anymore. Read more on this on Digiday.
- Ever used the word “Algorithm” and still not know what it means? Here’s a great glossary of digital terms that you may hear often but might not know exactly what they mean. (This will make you look like a genius!) Check this out on SearchEngineLand.