If you had your “choice” of the most effective media for local businesses, what would you choose? What are you recommending to local businesses in order to help them attain their goals? What would the ad solutions you are recommending look like if you were an agency? You are likely going to recommend the best advertising channels to accomplish what your “clients” need to accomplish. So I would ask again, what are you recommending these days?
That is exactly what Borrell Associates asked in a recent survey, the answers are below, and in MOM’s Chart of the Day below.
As it turns out, the top 5 most frequently recommended media channels coming from agencies today are digitally focused.
- Social Media
- Streaming Video
- PPC Advertising
- Content Marketing
But I am not an agency, why should this matter?
If you are not thinking of yourself as an agency, maybe that is the issue. Yes we have our owned media to be concerned with. And there is a place for this for many local businesses. But if we are truly thinking about the welfare of our local businesses first, why wouldn’t we be thinking just like an agency? Are your top choices in alignment with the findings of this survey? They may not be, and there may be a reason. But that reason cannot, and should not in 2018, be that we are simply leading with print.
Ad agencies don’t lead with a specific channel based on “their” goals. They focus on the welfare of the client. And to be honest, many of them do not have the capabilities or expertise available to us from GateHouse or ThriveHive. And when you combine that with what is arguably a strong local voice, that’s a compelling argument.
You have heard much talk about our business being more marketing service focused than just advertising. Advertising is still a part of the overall marketing approach. And if we were asked the same questions as were asked of all the agencies contributing to the afore-mentioned survey, would our answers come close to the results of the survey?
Quote of the week
“It’s not the will to win that matters—everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.”
— Paul “Bear” Bryant
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu navigation up top, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go. MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
NEW-Top ThriveHive Business Categories
Are you fishing in the right ponds?
Below, is a list of the top categories of business for digital solutions with ThriveHive from a total contract revenue perspective. This provides great direction for prospecting efforts.
- Automotive – For Sale
- Home & Home Improvement
- Real Estate
- Attorneys & Legal Services
- Business Services
- Apparel / Fashion & Jewelry
- Education & Instruction
- Industrial & Commercial
- Restaurants & Food
- Physicians & Surgeons
- Dentists & Dental Services
- Automotive – Repair
- Financial Services/Taxes/CPA
- Sports & Recreation
- Personal Services
- Arts & Entertainment
UPDATE-New GH Presentation Template
All presentations to follow the GH template, immediately please.
- Please note that these have been introduced and are available on the GateHouse Media Portal. Effective immediately, all ENC and SNM presentations should follow the GH template, both design and content flow. These are designed to follow the Sales Transformation steps and touch points, following the format will help guide us along the way. Please access these templates regularly. (Caution-if you download to your hard drive, be prepared to access again for any changes and/or updates that may occur from GH.)
NEW-Campaign reports continually updated, on the drive
- Don’t forget to access the campaign reports on the drive, for our customers. These will be updated when received. Don’t expect to hear of an update, just access them and you’ll have the latest and greatest to share with clients. For ease of access, check the REPORTS page of MOM.
UPDATE!-Best of the Best
Vote for Me Market Particiption
Best of the Best continues to engage our home town audiences.
- Jacksonville and Wilmington are #1 and #2 in total number of people particiating so far, this includes Nominate Me and current Vote for Me participation.
- New Bern and Jacksonville are #1 an #2 in total votes placed during the Vote for Me Round
Voting continues thru Aug. 14!
ENC and StarNewsMedia reports are on MOM!
See the Reports page, from upper right menu of MOM!
- ENC and SNM Campaign reports
- ENC and SNM Monthly O&O Audience reports
- GateHouse inventory availability (all sites)
- ENCO&O Rich Media Calendars
- ENC Front page sticky note calendars
UPDATE-Google Digital Sales Certification
Everyone is required to renew, or pass for the first time, the Google Digital Sales Certification. Here’s our tracker showing who has has completed and passed this certification…
- When you have passed, send me your certificate.
- Congratulations to Cassie Groff, Kinston, for passing the certification on July 9!
NEW-July 2018 Digital Webinars from GateHouse and ThriveHive
- The August Digital Updates from GH and TH will take place on Thursday, August 23rd at 1pm EST and Friday August 24th at 10am EST. Register for one of these sessions on the ThriveHive training website.
Chart of the Week-What Are Ad Agencies Recommending?
This is hot off the presses. A survey conducted recently by Borrell Associates asked the “experts”, ad agencies, what they are going to be recommending. The top three categories are all digital…social media, ppc advertising. Making up the remainder of the top five channels are content marketing and email marketing.
Direct mail, newspapers and magazines made the list, but they were way down on the list. This speaks volumes about digital marketing, what we need to be leading with, and where our competition is going to be spending their time.
Here’s a larger version of this chart for your presentations.
- 78% of local businesses surveyed will participate with Facebook in 2018.
Good To Know
(Impress your friends, your clients, and your MOM…you may not know it all but you are trying.)
- Google has rolled out 11 updates so far this year. Need another reason to justify why local businesses should work with a Google Premier Partner instead of doing it themselves? You may not be able to make much out of any of these 2018 updates, but it’s good information to let local businesses know why working with an expert is important. Here’s a list of the updates from Moz.com.
- Make that 12. See the details on SearchEngineLand.
- A robust and fresh Google My Business listing is one of the most important things local businesses can do to insure they can be found on searches. So what do you know about it? Have you kept up to date with the latest enahnacments available on GMB? If it’s so important, why? Here’s your chance to catch up. Check out 5 FAQ’s about GMB on SearchEngineLand.
- Perry Evans named new President of ThriveHive. Did you know? Wait, don’t answer, just read about it here on ThriveHive.