If you had your “choice” of the most effective media for local businesses, what would you choose? What are you recommending to local businesses in order to help them attain their goals? What would the ad solutions you are recommending look like if you were an agency? You are likely going to recommend the best advertising channels to accomplish what your “clients” need to accomplish. So I would ask again, what are you recommending these days?
That is exactly what Borrell Associates asked in a recent survey, the answers are below, and in MOM’s Chart of the Day below.
As it turns out, the top 5 most frequently recommended media channels coming from agencies today are digitally focused.
- Social Media
- Streaming Video
- PPC Advertising
- Content Marketing
But I am not an agency, why should this matter?
If you are not thinking of yourself as an agency, maybe that is the issue. Yes we have our owned media to be concerned with. And there is a place for this for many local businesses. But if we are truly thinking about the welfare of our local businesses first, why wouldn’t we be thinking just like an agency? Are your top choices in alignment with the findings of this survey? They may not be, and there may be a reason. But that reason cannot, and should not in 2018, be that we are simply leading with print.
Ad agencies don’t lead with a specific channel based on “their” goals. They focus on the welfare of the client. And to be honest, many of them do not have the capabilities or expertise available to us from GateHouse or ThriveHive. And when you combine that with what is arguably a strong local voice, that’s a compelling argument.
You have heard much talk about our business being more marketing service focused than just advertising. Advertising is still a part of the overall marketing approach. And if we were asked the same questions as were asked of all the agencies contributing to the afore-mentioned survey, would our answers come close to the results of the survey?
Quote of the week
“It’s not the will to win that matters—everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.”
— Paul “Bear” Bryant
Chart of the Week-What Are Ad Agencies Recommending?
This is hot off the presses. A survey conducted recently by Borrell Associates asked the “experts”, ad agencies, what they are going to be recommending. The top three categories are all digital…social media, ppc advertising. Making up the remainder of the top five channels are content marketing and email marketing.
Direct mail, newspapers and magazines made the list, but they were way down on the list. This speaks volumes about digital marketing, what we need to be leading with, and where our competition is going to be spending their time.
Here’s a larger version of this chart for your presentations.
- 78% of local businesses surveyed will participate with Facebook in 2018.
(What’s your mom been reaDING LATELY?)
- Google has rolled out 11 updates so far this year. Need another reason to justify why local businesses should work with a Google Premier Partner instead of doing it themselves? You may not be able to make much out of any of these 2018 updates, but it’s good information to let local businesses know why working with an expert is important. Here’s a list of the updates from Moz.com.
- Make that 12. See the details on SearchEngineLand.
- A robust and fresh Google My Business listing is one of the most important things local businesses can do to insure they can be found on searches. So what do you know about it? Have you kept up to date with the latest enahnacments available on GMB? If it’s so important, why? Here’s your chance to catch up. Check out 5 FAQ’s about GMB on SearchEngineLand.
- Perry Evans named new President of ThriveHive. Did you know? Wait, don’t answer, just read about it here on ThriveHive.
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, (GateHouse employees only) available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu navigation up top, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go. MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.