As it turns out, quite alot!
For those of us that have passed/renewed the Google Digital Sales Certification (ahem…more on this in training in this week’s edition) you’ve already seen the great suggestions about prospecting coming out of Google. As our two prospectors (get it, prospectors?) in the graphic are saying, it’s not about selling product, it’s about setting an appointment.
Prospecting, i.e. finding new potential from formerly non-customers, is the heart of what we are about. Of course we are digital, a media company, maybe even a digital agency. But at our core we’re a new business development machine. Or at least, we should be.
Google has some neat suggestions on prospecting. Here’s their 10 tips for great prospecting. (Click on the graphic for a larger version.)
Some of these are pretty plain and basic, like have a plan, be enthusiastic, etc. Plain and basic they may be but they are still right on. One of the tips that really jumps out is thought that prospecting is about selling a “meeting” and not a product, a schedule, a campaign, or gasp…an ad.
Frankly, it’s really easier to get a meeting from someone you’ve never talke to before, or done business with before than it is to sell them something. If you’ve put it right, you’re just trying to do the prospect a favor. This takes virtually all of the threat out of cold calling. And it makes the first time, face-to-face, a little easier. Because if done right, you’ve positioned yourself as the expert just trying to help the prospect.
At Coastal NC, we have New Business Wednesday. And new business is one of our company’s core KPI’s. Borrell Research has identified more than 44K SMB’s in our 7 county market. So considering the number of active customers we have in total today, we are only scratching the surface. The pool of prospects for future meetings remains pretty deep.
Why is this important to me?
Contacting and converting new prospects into customers is key to everything we do today. It’s not as hard as it may seem. Take a look at what Google suggests are 10 best practices for prospecting…doing some every day, focusing on the prospect, keeping it fun all work. And remember these are not MOM’s recommendations, they are all from Google. But most important, remember prospecting is not about winning the sale over the phone. It’s about winning an opportunity to speak with a prospect, starting the whole SITRW process. Pretty soon, you end up with a pipeline of prospects learning more about what we can do, and how we can help them achieve their goals. And helping businesses in our markets achieve their goals is alot more fun than just sellin’ ads.
Quote of the week
“Sales are contingent upon the attitude of the salesman – not the attitude of the prospect.”
— W. Clement Stone
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu navigation up top, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go. MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
NEW-Coastal NC Promotion Intake and Set Up Forms (Wilmington & ENC)
For a while we’ve had forms (for Wilmington AND for ENC) that allow for easy set up for any promotion. We want to make sure that everyone has access to these forms, with a little explanation.
- PROMOTIONS INTAKE FORM-this is a form you will want to reference BEFORE you have made a sale. If you want help putting together a promotion, pricing, etc. Just fill this out with a little customer info and we will do some of the leg work for you.
- PROMOTIONS SET UP FORM-this form should be completed AFTER the sale. When you complete this form, we should have all the information available to start setting up the promotion.
And remember, almost all of our promotions are very focused on digital solutions!
Both of these forms are easy to find, please bookmark them in your version of My Drive. We will also make sure they are linked to MOM on a regular basis.
UPDATE-New GH Presentation Template
All presentations to follow the GH template, immediately please.
- REAL presentation is available here to view how this template, and ready-to-use ThriveHive slides can be used.
- Please note that these have been introduced and are available on the GateHouse Media Portal. Effective immediately, all ENC and SNM presentations should follow the GH template, both design and content flow. These are designed to follow the Sales Transformation steps and touch points, following the format will help guide us along the way. Please access these templates regularly. (Caution-if you download to your hard drive, be prepared to access again for any changes and/or updates that may occur from GH.)
UPDATE-Best Of The Best Voting Completed for All 4 CNC Sites
Vote for Me Market Particiption
- New Bern and Jacksonville ended up #1 and #2 in total number of votes placed in this round.
- Jacksonville and Wilmington finished #1 and #2 in the number of individual people that have participated in voting, this includes Nominate Me and current Vote for Me participation. The communities are engaged!
- Votes are being tallied at this moment. Expect results very soon.
UPDATE-ENC and StarNewsMedia reports are on MOM (Including Campaign Reports)
See the Reports page, from upper right menu of MOM!
- ENC and SNM Campaign reports
- ENC and SNM Monthly O&O Audience reports
- GateHouse inventory availability (all sites)
- ENCO&O Rich Media Calendars
- ENC Front page sticky note calendars
IMPORTANT UPDATE-Google Digital Sales Certification
Have you taken and passed the latest Google Digital Sales Certification? Everyone is required pass this to be able to sell any Google products. If you took it two years ago, your certification must be renewed. If you have passed, you must add your name to our tracker. Here’s our tracker showing who has completed and passed this certification…
- When you have passed, send a copy of your certificate to email@example.com.
UPDATE-August 2018 Digital Webinars from GateHouse and ThriveHive
- The August Digital Updates from GH and TH will take place on Thursday, August 23rd at 1pm EST and Friday August 24th at 10am EST. Register for one of these sessions on the ThriveHive training website.
Chart of the Week-2019 Local Ad Spending for CNC 7-Market Area
It’s that time, time to start looking at 2019 for budgets and proposals.
Here’s a look at 2019 local spending according to Borrell Assoc.
- Online continues to grow
- Newspaper barely holds on and is tied with local TV
- Radio and Direct Mail are next in line.
What does this say about our go-to-market messaging for all presentations from here on out? Feel free to download a larger image of the above graph here, for presentations. Or ask for customized versions by business category, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good To Know
(Impress your friends, your clients, and your MOM…you may not know it all but you are trying.)
- GateHouse continues to diversify. GateHouse Live has announced it is taking a majority interest in a wholly owned subsidiary of New Media
Investment Group Inc, has signed an agreement to acquire a majority interest in Rugged Events Holding LLC, the events production company behind the Rugged Maniac Obstacle Race series and more than 90 premier endurance events in the U.S. and Canada. This company was a Shark Tank success story, receiving investment funds from Mark Cuban four years ago. Rugged Events will be part of GateHouse live, reporting to Jason Taylor. Read more about this exciting acquisition, here.
- Businesses that use Reputation Management tools experience more overall effective digital marketing. This makes sense, but it also means that our Reputation Management customers need some support along the way to make it more beneficial. Read how some of the larger local comapnies are making it work for them on StreetFightMag.
- They’re at it again, Google rolled out another update! Ok, so this is nothing new, but probably good thing for you to check in on the impact it had on websites and search ranking. And it’s also another reason why ThriveHive is so important, most local businesses would not be able to keep up with these frequent updates. This one is really good to know. Check it out on SearchEngineLand.