Swiss Army Knives are cool, right? They do everything…or just about. Someone gave me one as a gift once. It’s a great gift. I look at it often in my dresser drawer, (to ward off late night Swiss burglers, I guess.) But I don’t really use it for anything specific. There are almost too many things in one tool that you can do with one of these things. And does it do any one thing spectatularly? No offense to the Swiss, but when I need to get a job done I find the right tool that fits the job. Just because it can do alot, doesn’t mean it’s the right tool for any one specific task.
Same is true for digital marketing tools (any marketing tool for that matter.) Just because “digital” can help SMB’s achieve many of their goals, you need the RIGHT solution for the specific goal in mind to be effective. And that’s kind of the message behind a neat survey (and a very useable chart) from our friends at Borrell Research. Seems like when agencies are recommending solutions to generate an immediate conversion (like sell something) they are recommending different channels than they would if they are trying to support a branding campaign. There’s no digital-swiss-army-knife here. Take a look at the chart below (a larger version is available in today’s Chart of the Day.)
While all of the references to digital and traditional media in this chart basically mimic what we’ve already know from experience and our training, it’s still a great reference when the subject comes up during a SMB needs assessment. Fact: I used it twice last week in communicating with prospective clients.
SEM is the leader when it comes to “sellling stuff”, which we all know is a conversion. Looks like social advertising is also a great channel for conversions. Not as great at accomplishing the same, according to agenices, are things like video, banner ads, and frankly newspaper and magazines. But when it comes to a branding campaign, there is a significant difference in many of the choices shown. Social advertising seems like the one channel that is a high scorer for both “selling stuff” and branding according to agencies. But you’ll see that the needs of the agency client will have a strong impact on the media solutions recommended.
Didn’t we already know this?
Frankly yes. However the focus in our business on deeper needs assesments and using those to determine the right solution should serve as a reminder that hardly any of our tools are going to be universally and equally as effective in all situations. Display ads just don’t generate significant conversions like a good SEM campaign does and newspaper or magazine ads are not the same as a social media campaign. Similarly, when we talk to a prospective client about their current campaign, we should be able to call out which competitive channels being used for current campaigns may or may not be the most effective choice for their goals.
Of course, all research is subject to scrutiny. There are great display campaingns, there are great newspaper ads…just like there are average campaigns that don’t elicit high-fives. If all SEM campaigns hit home runs nobody would switch providers. And the basis of this survey (agencies) might skew results. But the overall findings and the trends are pretty clear. Just because it’s digital, doesn’t make it the right solution. More appropriately stated, the RIGHT digital channel is going to be highly effective when applied well to the right job to be done.
Now getting back to my Swiss Army Knife, now that I recall, the bottle opener has come in handy a number of times. THAT…is genius.
Quote of the week
“Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.”
— Tom Landry (Dallas Cowoys Head Coach 1960-88)
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu navigation up top, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go. MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
UPDATE-Coastal NC Promotion Intake and Set Up Forms (Wilmington & ENC)
For a while we’ve had forms (for Wilmington AND for ENC) that allow for easy set up for any promotion. We want to make sure that everyone has access to these forms, with a little explanation.
- PROMOTIONS INTAKE FORM–this is a form you will want to reference BEFORE you have made a sale, (if you want help putting together a promotion, pricing, etc.) Just fill this out with a little customer info and we will do some of the leg work for you.
- PROMOTIONS SET UP FORM–this form should be completed AFTER the sale. When you complete this form, we should have all the information available to start setting up the promotion.
And remember, almost all of our promotions are very focused on digital solutions!
Both of these forms are easy to find, please bookmark them in your version of My Drive. We will also make sure they are linked to MOM on a regular basis.
NEW-Google Premier Partner Status…what does it mean?
If you are searching for a plumber to get work done at your home, wouldn’t you want to know if the plumber you choose has access to the best tools, the most up to date knowledge and has passed a high level of certifications? In searching for a pre-school for your son or daughter, wouldn’t you want to know that the instituion is highly selective in choosing its employees and they have received the right kind of training to insure your child has a great learning environment? That’s kind of what being a Google Premier Partner means for us, and for any business we work with. And that’s the reason why all of us are asked to take and/or renew Google Digital Sales Certification status.
Being a Premier Partner is something that we should brag about when discussing our ThriveHive solutions. Don’t be shy to let prospective clients know of ThriveHive’s status. Earning that trust from Google takes work. The benefits to local businesses are that we have access to the latest information and updates, something that not all providers can say. Here’s a quick chart from Google on what it means to attain and maintain Premier Partner status. Check the Training section of today’s MOM for our Google Digital Sales scorecard so far. Have you passed yet?
UPDATE–GH Presentation Template
All presentations to follow the GH template, immediately please.
- REAL presentation is available here to view how this template, and ready-to-use ThriveHive slides can be used.
- Please note that these have been introduced and are available on the GateHouse Media Portal. Effective immediately, all ENC and SNM presentations should follow the GH template, both design and content flow. These are designed to follow the Sales Transformation steps and touch points, following the format will help guide us along the way. Please access these templates regularly. (Caution-if you download to your hard drive, be prepared to access again for any changes and/or updates that may occur from GH.)
UPDATE-ENC and StarNewsMedia reports are on MOM (Including Campaign Reports)
See the Reports page, from upper right menu of MOM!
- ENC and SNM Campaign reports
- ENC and SNM Monthly O&O Audience reports
- GateHouse inventory availability (all sites)
- ENCO&O Rich Media Calendars
- ENC Front page sticky note calendars
NEW (well sort of…)-GateHouse Sales Training Center
Well no, this is not “new”, but you may not have accessed these pages yet. This is the GateHouse Sales Training Center where you can find links all training materials, web pages and training decks for just about anything we need to know. Need to know more about OnTarget, this is the place. Need to know more about working with Google Apps, you’ll find it here. Need to know where past monthly update decks can be found, this is the right place. Bookmark the Training Center, this is the FIRST place to access when you have a question about a product or tool we have.
IMPORTANT UPDATE-Google Digital Sales Certification
Have you taken and passed the latest Google Digital Sales Certification? Everyone is required pass this to be able to sell any Google products. If you took it two years ago, your certification must be renewed. If you have passed, you must add your name to our tracker. Here’s our tracker showing who has completed and passed this certification…
- When you have passed, send a copy of your certificate to email@example.com.
UPDATE-August 2018 Digital Webinars from GateHouse and ThriveHive
- The recording of the August webinar is available on the TH Training site and the GateHouse Sales Training Center (mentioned above.) Great stuff, check it out for a refresher. Look for the September roll out registration very quickly on the training site also.
Chart of the Week-Branding and Conversions…What Agencies Recommend For Both
As mentioned in today’s opening feature, branding and conversions are two different goals. So naturally, diferent media solutions/tools might be called upon for one as opposed to the other. What do agencies recommend for these two disparate client goals?
- SEM and Social Media Advertising are the clear winners when an action, or conversion is required.
- Social Media Advertising scores high here too.
- The clear winner when it comes to branding from agency recommendations is broadcast TV.
- Video and Cable TV are ranked #3 and #4 when it comes to branding recommendations.
Take a look at the entire chart. This is something that can fit well supporting your own client recommendations. You can see a larger version here.
Good To Know
(Impress your friends, your clients, and your MOM…you may not know it all but you are trying.)
- Target Marketing gone wild! Think you’ve seen everything right? Well, think again. Looks like there’s a new way to target an audience. Capital One has gone live with their campaign utilizing fortune cookies to help spread their message. Let’s hope there is no frequency cap on these campaigns! More on this at Digiday.com.
- Facebook organic reach continuest to drop, this means FB advertising is more important than ever. Yep, Google is not the only place where algorithm changes occur with some frequency. FB is also constantly retooling the way they deliver content. The latest version continues to result in smaller organic reach for businesses. This means that FB advertising is continuing to grow as an SMB staple. More on this coming soon, but to check on the changes rolling out on FB, take a look at eClincher.