How “targeted”are your Targeted Display recommendations? Are you utilizing all the targeting capabilities available to you and the client? Are you utilizing search keywords to target the audience? Are demographics, psychographics, and behaviors considered when reaching the right audience? Have you included geo-fencing and a geo-conversion zone? Are you including our newspaper site audience in the solution? That’s alot to consider, isn’t it. You don’t really need to make all of these decisions. You have a team behind you, as does the client, to help define the right targeting solutions. It’s time to get re-acquainted with the Custom Audience Request.
The Custom Audience Request is, well…just that. It’s your way to request the right combination of targeting capabilities that will result in the client’s message reaching the audience that the client has defined. No, this is not new, per say…this is just our chance to revisit how we can put his tool to use, and to make delivering a great solution a little easier. If you have been using this form, great. But my hunch is that we are not taking advantage of this level of support often enough. And we now have this form available for ALL of our sales teams across all CNC properties. So here’s a refresher, to help all of us define and deliver a better solution to our customers while taking some of the work off of our plates.
Before the sale
- The Custom Audience Request is a “before” the sale tool. Targeted display is a great component for many multimedia solutions. But knowing exactly how it should be used and applied can be complex. That is why GateHouse has its own team supporting all audience request recommendations. Once you have defined the goals of the prospective client, by simply including them on the request form, GH will be able to send back a well-defined audience targeting recommendation. The recommendation takes into account all the goals that the client has defined but also uses sophisticated knowledge about how we can target to provide a well-crafted solution. This is something that you can share with the client in your final proposal, an impressive showing of expertise that will lend great credibility to your overall campaign recommendation.
- Custom Audience Requests allow the inclusion of newspaper website audiences in the overall recommendation. This now includes StarNewsOnline, previously not available on the Custom Audience Request. There is no reason why our local customers should have to choose whether to use nationally branded websites or our own loyal website audiences in crafting a great display solution. After all, we are targeting an audience, not a website. In addition, but utilizing the Custom Audience Request form the recommendations will also provide targeting options on newspaper.com sites. Remember, ROS campaigns are considered to be far less effective than targeted campaigns, we should be targeting on our own newspaper.com websites using the pre-defined audience segments as well.
- The resulting recommendations coming from the GateHouse team are also included when submitting the final ordering instructions. This means that you don’t have to determine the targeting tactics yourself when you are submitting the order, they are already included in the recommendation. This is one of the neatest benefits from utilizing this form. It makes submitting the campaign very easy for us locally, and for the GateHouse AdOps team. It also eliminates any confusion about tactics, and insures that you and the client are making the best use of all tactics that can benefit the campaign. This is time-saving for all of us.
I knew all this already. Is something changing?
The whole concept of requesting a defined targeting solution, and including in a proposal is not a new one. But we may not be taking advantage of it. Too many targeted display campaigns are submitted AFTER the fact with only sales representative input to define the tactics. That’s something that is changing now. We will now be expecting that the expertise from the GateHouse team will be included in defining the overall targeted display solution. That’s a win for the customer, and the time-saving benefit to the sales team is a win for us. So it’s a plus all the way around.
The larger story here is that all of the prospects and customers we touch are supported by multiple layers. That is to be expected when utilizing sophisticated tools. Local customers now have a team behind the solutions and services we provide. We are members of that team. The levels of expertise that we can provide to local businesses are part of our overall USP, and give us a unique advantage in our markets. It’s time we make all local businesses we touch know of this great advantage.
Quote of the week
““Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work”
— Peter Drucker
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu navigation up top, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go. MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
NEW-New Bern Home & Holiday Show Lives On…Expanded
With the closing of the New Bern Convention Center due to weather related damage, the December Home and Holiday show is now moved to the Craven County Fair Grounds. In addition, it’s now expanded to include Home Improvement. The Home Improvement & Holiday Gift Show will be held Dec. 14 and 15. Registration deadline is Nov. 28, early registration pricing runs thru Nov. 7. Make sure all local businesses know that the show goes on! The updated sales sheet is here.
NEW-Front Page (Sticky) Note Sales Focus the week of Dec. 3…Kick off Nov. 7.
We are kicking off our 2019 Front Page Note initiative on Nov. 7 with sales to commence on Dec. 3. Make sure to attend the webinar on Wed. Nov 7 where we will introduce the new packaging and start making appointments for sales calls. This year’s packages will feature a very digitally oriented experience for all Front-Page note contracts sold in Dec. All dates are on the table, and we will start taking reservations for 2019 schedules early Dec. Stay tuned!
UPDATE-World Series of Sales
Starting October 1 and ending November 4, GateHouse EAST will play GateHouse WEST to determine WHO IS THE BEST!
Each week, GateHouse EAST and GateHouse WEST (each) will award up to $750 based on most revenue and most points. All details are spelled out on the attached internal contest sheet, (click on the graphic to the left.)
- Home Run 6-month contracts will earn 2 points, 4 points if the advertiser is NEW or has not advertised in 90 days
- Grand Slam 12-month contracts will earn 4 points, 8 points if the advertiser is NEW or has not advertised in 90 days
Good luck GH EAST!
NEW-GateHouse and ThriveHive Holiday Specials
Make sure you have access to all the latest GH and TH specials for the holidays including reduced pricing on individual products and packages. Keep them close and available, local businesses will thank you. Holiday specials here.
UPDATE-OnTarget Audience Request Form…Now Required (This is a new form for Wilmington.)
All targeted display campaigns that will be part of proposals will be required to be submitted with the Audience Request Form effective 10/1/18. This means that any targeted display component you are recommending in sales proposals should be planned using the Audience Request Form, ahead of time.
- These forms should be completed prior to sale, not after the sale.
- They can, and should, be used for proposals and to aid in closing proposals.
- Newspaper O&O inventory can be included as a part of the overall audience request for these plans.
NOTE: This form is NEW for Wilmington. The previous form that was available for Wilmington will no longer be used.
Here is a link to the most recent format of this form. Please add to your bookmarks.
UPDATE-Digital Pipeline Review…Ongoing.
- 28-day (for forecast closes) digital pipeline is pulled and posted on the drive…daily. This will show the number and status of all digital opportunities. The pipeline is sent out daily, and is also available here. (Bookmark this link.)
- Pipeline is reviewed to see what we all can do to help support sales teams and customers to come to agreement quickly with prescribed solutions.
- The review will also tell us where we are in the SITRW process to support efforts from opening, to CNA, to solutions, presentation, and close.
If you receive an inquiry, it’s just part of an overall effort to help our total effort!
UPDATE-CRM Field Added To Note SITRW (Selling In The Real World) Activity
- A new field has been added to the input in Sugar CRM to note SITRW activity. Instructions are forthcoming as are training sessions. If you note this field while inputting new opportunities, it is to be checked SPECIFICALLY for SITRW progress, only. More to come.
UPDATE-Digital Rate Card changes for Wilmington and ENC.
- Please access the new rate cards and keep them close for access. New cpm’s and base campaign minimum’s are in effect immediately. The new rate cards are available here.
UPDATE–GH Presentation Template
All presentations to follow the GH template, immediately please.
- Several versions, all the way down to a Word Doc version, can now be accessed for your use, here.
- “Live” presentation is available here to view how this template, and ready-to-use ThriveHive slides can be used.
UPDATE-ENC and StarNewsMedia reports are on MOM (Including Campaign Reports)
See the Reports page, from upper right menu of MOM!
- ENC and SNM Campaign reports
- ENC and SNM Monthly O&O Audience reports
- GateHouse inventory availability (all sites)
- ENCO&O Rich Media Calendars
- ENC Front page sticky note calendars
UPDATE-Make Sure You Are Registered!
Please register for the October Digital Rollout Webinar on the ThriveHive training website. Dates and times for this webinar are Thursday October 25th 1-2:15pm EST and Friday October 26th 10-11:15am EST. You need only attend one webinar.
And don’t forget, the recording of the September rollout is also available on the training site.
UPDATE-This Thursday…Monthly Digital Dives…”Java with Jen!”
Starting on October 24, we will be holding an extended Wednesday sales webinar, 9 to 10 focusing on specific areas of digital products and how best to apply with local businesses. You will receive NEW login instructions for these sessions, that will supersede our regular webinar log in’s.
These sessions will be interactive, led by Jen McKay from GateHouse. And we are using Zoom, so you will need to have your digital camera’s in operation. If you do not have a separate digital camera, please have your laptops open in front of you. Using this will help our engagement and provide y’all with much better opportunities to take to the field.
First session…Wednesday, October 24.
UPDATE-GateHouse Sales Training Center
The GateHouse Sales Training Center is where you can find links to all training materials, web pages and training decks for just about anything we need to know.
- Need to know more about OnTarget? This is the place.
- Need to know more about working with Google Apps? You’ll find it here.
- Need to know where past monthly update decks can be found? This is the right place.
Bookmark the Training Center, this is the FIRST place to access when you have a question about a product or tool we have.
(Impress your friends, your clients, and your MOM…you may not know it all but you are trying.)
- Spending on Mobile will surpass combined in ad spending in all other vehicles by 2020. You knew this was coming. Best to make sure that all local businesses are basing their digital footprints on their mobile presence first and foremost…pass it on to all SMB’s. You will be doing them a favor. More on this at eMarketer.
- If you want to target a local audience, make sure you include “local” in the targeting. Something that local businesses may not think of (and we should) is that searching for the same thing in different parts of the country may require different search parameters. Local terms for foods, events, places, may not be the same everywhere. This is caused some problems for larger businesses when they are creating simple campaigns. And if it causes complications for larger businesses, it will also impact local ones as well. Read the full scoop on this at StreetFightMag.
- Google adds even more descriptions for local businesses…pass along to local customers, please. Some shoppers would like to do business with a family run store. Same could be true for veteran, or female run business. These are attributes that local businesses can be proud of. And Google is now allowing local businesses to add these descriptors to their Google My Business profile. It’s free for any business to do this. And as Google Certified sellers we should be aware of this feature that local SMB’s will want to take advantage of. You can learn more about this at SearchEngineLand. Pass it on.