2019 local media spending forecasts are in, and it’s a pretty simple picture. Just about every media should experience “lower” spending in 2019. The only exceptions are…drum roll please…DIGITAL & OUTDOOR ADVERTISING.
Outdoor advertising you say? Yes…billboards, (the non-expandable kind.) You can see the forecast chart in this week’s CHART OF THE WEEK later in this post.
- Digital: +9.2%
- Outdoor +3.6%
- Direct Mail +0.2%
- Cinema -0.5%
- Radio -2.8%
- Directories -5.9%
- Other Print -7.4%
- TV -13.5%
- Newspaper -15.8%
- Cable TV -16.2%
So what does this mean to me?
Well, it doesn’t mean to go out and start pitching billboards. This forecast makes ThriveHive and our news sites, all the more important in our 2019 focus. Expect to hear a steady drum beat of digital news as we move into the New Year.
Quote of the week
“If you make customers unhappy in the physical world, they might each tell 6 friends. If you make customers unhappy on the Internet, they can each tell 6,000 friends.”
— Jeff Bezos, CEO at Amazon.com
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu navigation up top, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go. MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
UPDATE-Front Page Notes (Close Pending Sales)
Wilmington closed strong last week. ENC has some great showings in Kinston and in New Bern. This week we will be following up on all pending sales, closing thru Thursday! Remember this is 2019 revenue with 60% going to digital. See your manager with any questions. Prices for these packages are good thru Thursday only to those that have been proposed so far.
UPDATE-Holiday Hurricane Relief packages
These are still good, with any order that will invoice and fulfill this month. A great way to end the year for you and our local customers.
UPDATE-Crazy Eight-HolidayMania 2
Selling runs thru this Friday, 12/14.
- New Bern: 160% to goal so far
- Kinston: 170% to goal so far
- Jacksonville: 59% to goal so far
- Wilmington: 59% to goal so far
NEW-Port City Life & MyMags…get ready!
We will be coming out of the gate fast in 2019. Start getting ready for sales packages for our great magazines…plus…new digital packaging. More to come!
Good luck GH EAST!
UPDATE-Digital Pipeline Review…Ongoing.
- The 28-day digital pipeline is sent out daily, and is also available here. (Bookmark this link.)
- Pipeline is reviewed to see what we all can do to help support sales teams and customers to come to agreement quickly with prescribed solutions.
- The review will also tell us where we are in the SITRW process to support efforts from opening, to CNA, to solutions, presentation, and close.
Note: if you are not on the 28-day pipeline, let’s talk! 🙂
UPDATE-CRM Field Added To Note SITRW (Selling In The Real World) Activity
- A new field has been added to the input in Sugar CRM to note SITRW activity. Instructions are forthcoming as are training sessions. If you note this field while inputting new opportunities, it is to be checked SPECIFICALLY for SITRW progress, only. More to come.
UPDATE-November GH/TH Recap
If you did not sit in on the November rollout/update, it’s probably a good idea for you to catch the recording and/or the deck. This special edition recapped all the 2018 roll outs and provides a great summary of where we have come.
UPDATE-TH PageOne Packages Retiring
The Page One TH bundle is being retired in December. It will not be available after 12/28/18.
CHART OF THE WEEK
Not a whole lot more to say about this.!
(Impress your friends, your clients, and your MOM…you may not know it all but you are trying.)
- The business shopping days of the holidays are still to come! 2018 holiday shopping is not finished. 5 of the 10 busiest shopping days of the year are still yet to come. This is something to keep in mind this week as we close out all our ongoing promotions, and stop by local businesses for last-minute idea. More on this at ShopperTrak.
- Reputation Monitoring a must have for restaurants. Reviews are key for restaurants. Getting good reviews is not always easy. What to do with them is also just as important. And for restaurants it is a key driver for business. This makes reputation management a great tool for eateries in our markets. Want to see more, check out StreetFightMag.
- 74% of local businesses have at least 1 review…but it’s not enough. In fact the average local business has 39 reviews. How do our customers stand up next to that? Do reviews matter in search rankings? Check out the story on SearchEngineLand.