Do you know your YOU S-P?
You know what USP means right? Unique Selling Proposition…that’s the thing that we’re supposed to get prospective clients to identify for us. Well…that’s only part right. Frankly any good business or product should have a great USP. More importantly, any good business should KNOW what their USP is. So let’s ask the question again…what’s YOUR Unique Selling Proposition? Or, why should a local business work with YOU!
A unique selling proposition (USP) refers to the unique benefit exhibited by a company, service, product or brand that enables it to stand out from competitors. The unique selling proposition must be a feature that highlights product benefits that are meaningful to consumers.
Before you jump on an answer, remember that most SMB’s are contacted 15+ times per month about marketing opportunities. Many are contacted 2x’s that number. What is going to make you stand out in that crowd?
Are you able to offer a local business some real and “relevent” information about THEIR business and customers? According to Borrell Assoc., “Local businesses are simply not listening to the sales representatives who don’t take the time to understand their needs and approach the sale from a consultant’s perspective.” Taking the time to learn something about local SMB’s customers and business category might be part of your USP.
And what about emphasizing your expertise and status as a Google Premier SMB Partner? You have achieved a Digital Sales Certification from Google. And ThriveHive is one of Google’s Premier partners meaning greater access to insight and training that benefits any of our clients. That should also be part of your USP.
Then there are always the old (understatement) stand-bye’s…being local and being a newspaper. Caution here, neither of these are compelling in 2018. Being local isn’t what it used to be…nobody is going to do business with a local provider unless they are a good provider. And while our newspapers still carry a loyal audience, the share of local ad spend devoted to newspapers (forecast to be 8% in 2019 by Borrell Assoc.) might suggest there are other strong attributes to rely upon for a strong USP.
In the end, YOUR Unique Selling Proposition might be a combination of the above. Where else can a local business get quality consultation regarding the latest marketing channels from a digitally certified seller, backed up by an, an award-winning digital agency that has earned Premier Partner status from Google. But there is still one thing missing from that equation, and that is YOU. Your skills and your attention to service add to the overall USP.
Remember, USP’s aren’t just for our clients to brag about for their prospective customers. We need to be bragging about our own USP as well. Take a few minutes and make sure you can articulate it, get good at doing so. Then make sure that same USP comes out in everything we do.
Quote of the week
“Currently we don’t have plans on conquering the world.”
— “Sergey Brin (One of the founders of Google Inc.)
Your MOM Knows Best
BTB (Before The Blog) editions of the MOM online newsletter are now available on the About page, available from the menu in the upper right hand corner.
Check the menu navigation up top, it’s an easy access for reports and contacts that you will need to keep handy. These will be updated as we go. MOM knows all!
Want to follow MOM to be the first to hear about weekly updates Just follow MOM and you’ll receive an email notification every time a new update of MOM is published. If you are a WordPress user and are logged in, just click the Follow button in the admin bar. If you are not a WordPress user, or are logged out, just click the Follow button in the lower right-hand corner of your blog’s home page.
Give MOM some feedback, rate any post, or leave a comment.
And your MOM is everywhere, available on ALL devices…desktop, mobile (Android & iOS), and tablet.
This is your MOM, at least at work that is.
NEW-ThriveHive Deploys Strategic Accounts Team Regionally, Added Support for Verticals
GateHouse and ThriveHive are reinforcing their support for specific business verticals with the announcement of the Strategic Accounts Team. This team brings added knowledge and expertise to our sales focus. Their mission is to grow our digital revenue and grow your active account bases. Jackie Olson from ThriveHive will be the Strategic Account representative for our region. This team will be a point of contact for opportunities that lie within high impact business segments. These are clients with the potential of spending $3,000+ month or more in digital solutions. Categories of special focus will be:
- Higher Education
- Real Estate Firms (not independent agents)
- Home Services (with a fleet of 8+ vehicles): HVAC, Plumbers, Pest Control,
- Financial Institutions (i.e. Banks, Credit Unions, Loans)
The process for engaging Jackie and this team will be simple and is outlined here, just for guidance.
NEW-Digital Rate Card changes for Wilmington and ENC effective 9/3/18.
New digital rate cards are available now. Please access the new rate cards and keep them close for access. New cpm’s and base campaign minimum’s are in effect immediately. The new rate cards are avaialble here.
IMPORTANT UPDATE-Coastal NC Promotion Intake and Set Up Forms (Wilmington & ENC)
Please pay close attention…use these forms at will, depending upon the sales stage you are at currently.
- PROMOTIONS INTAKE FORM–this is a form you will want to reference BEFORE you have made a sale, (if you want help putting together a promotion, pricing, etc.) Just fill this out with a little customer info and we will do some of the leg work for you.
- PROMOTIONS SET UP FORM–this form should be completed AFTER the sale. When you complete this form, we should have all the information available to start setting up the promotion.
And remember, almost all of our promotions are very focused on digital solutions!
Both of these forms are easy to find, please bookmark them in your version of My Drive. We will also make sure they are linked to MOM on a regular basis.
UPDATE–GH Presentation Template
All presentations to follow the GH template, immediately please.
- REAL presentation is available here to view how this template, and ready-to-use ThriveHive slides can be used.
- Please note that these have been introduced and are available on the GateHouse Media Portal. Effective immediately, all ENC and SNM presentations should follow the GH template, both design and content flow. These are designed to follow the Sales Transformation steps and touch points, following the format will help guide us along the way. Please access these templates regularly. (Caution-if you download to your hard drive, be prepared to access again for any changes and/or updates that may occur from GH.)
UPDATE-ENC and StarNewsMedia reports are on MOM (Including Campaign Reports)
See the Reports page, from upper right menu of MOM!
- ENC and SNM Campaign reports
- ENC and SNM Monthly O&O Audience reports
- GateHouse inventory availability (all sites)
- ENCO&O Rich Media Calendars
- ENC Front page sticky note calendars
UPDATE-GateHouse Sales Training Center
Well no, this is not “new”, but you may not have accessed these pages yet. This is the GateHouse Sales Training Center where you can find links all training materials, web pages and training decks for just about anything we need to know. Need to know more about OnTarget, this is the place. Need to know more about working with Google Apps, you’ll find it here. Need to know where past monthly update decks can be found, this is the right place. Bookmark the Training Center, this is the FIRST place to access when you have a question about a product or tool we have.
IMPORTANT UPDATE-Google Digital Sales Certification
If you have not done so already, (and I am certain just about everyone has) please send me a copy of your Google Digital Sales Certificate. That way we’ll have the right dates to register here.
Here’s our tracker showing who has completed and passed this certification…
UPDATE-September 2018 Digital Webinars from GateHouse and ThriveHive
- Look for the September Digital Rollout registration on the TH Training site and the GateHouse Sales Training Center (mentioned above.)
Chart of the Week-Why SMB’s Were Going to Cancel Their 2018/19 Advertising…
This is an interesting chart, and a great question. Mr. Borrell asked local businesses across the county what they would be cutting back…then asked why. As you can see the three most often offered reasons for cancelling ad spend were the expense, the coverage (too broad) and too difficult the measure.
- TV’s most often reason for canceling remains the overall cost, but “too broad of an audience” was offered surprisingly few times, not a much higher % than newspapers.
- Cable TV seems to do an even better job of making sure that the audience coverage fits advertiser needs, but is also plagued by higher than justifiable costs.
- Newspapers are also getting hurt by higher costs than deemed worthwhile by local advertisers
- Digital media has the lowest % of cancellations based on cost, coverage and measurement among all the channels offered.
Take a look at the entire chart. There are lessons here. When high cost is offered as a reason for budget cuts, that means the cost is higher than the client can justify. Maybe that is something we can address ahead of time. And also remember that digital advertising still is the most targeted, easy to measure and cost efficient channel among all offered.
You can see a larger version here.
(what’s your mom been reading lately?)
- 69% of smart phone owners use them to shop. And 82% of them conduct “near me searches. You already knew everyone owns a smart phone and everyone uses them. But here’s another fact…as much as 90% of these shoppers are likely to click on the first set of results. Local businesses have to have a great mobile presence and show up among the leaders on SERP’s to grab their share of customers. See more about this on Search Engine Land.
- Google adds new ‘veteran-led’ attribute to Google My Business profile. This is very important for our markets. Any Veteran-Owned business will want to know this, and take advantage. Showing them how on GoogleMyBusiness is our job, this level of expertise adds to your own “USP.” Check it out on Search Engine Land.
- 80 Mind-Blowing Sales Statistics That Will Help You Sell Smarter in 2018! Did you know there is a correlation between having a robust pipeline on making goal? Of course you did. And did you know that prospecting, just is not easy? Yes! But did you also know that a vast majority of prospective customers want to read emails between the hours of 5 am and 6 am? I thought I was the only one up then. There are tons more interesting sales stats here. Read through them here on HubSpot’s blog.